Author Topic: Martyr Golem vs Winds of War  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Synnym

• View Profile
Martyr Golem vs Winds of War
« on: November 22, 2012, 06:11:14 PM »
Iiiiin the right corner, a several thousand pound overprotective robooooooot! Iiiin the left corner a... I have no idea how much fire weights, and absolutely no idea how to measure them, oh well. On to business.

This question usually rises in most games where you have some absolutes.
When winds of war is cast and theres a martyr golem on the field, does he absorb ALL the damage his side takes? or absorbs the 3 'hits', dies and then the next one in line takes dmg as normal? what in the case hes last to take dmg? Then some dmg 'vanishes?
I kinda hope he absorbs the whole damn thing, making him an expensive, but nice counter to spells/abilities damaging ALL one's characters, specially my pwetty zombotzies :3

Offline Michael Saniyan

• The furry brony without a Facebook account
    • View Profile
Re: Martyr Golem vs Winds of War
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 08:18:18 PM »
Seeing as Winds of War does damage to everything simultaneously, Martyr Golem should absorb all that damage, no matter how much it is. It's all basically one hit, so the damage should be able to exceed his health without killing him until the spell is "over". That's my uneducated guess, at least.
"Lift me beyond the realm of men, so that I may never have to suffer through their lies again." - Angelify

Offline Koey

• The one trapped in the Hamster ball.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 08:41:54 PM »
Very good question.

judging by the description
"All Damage that would be dealt to a character you control is redirected to Martyr Golem."
It totally depends on how they scripted the events.
Either:
1) each character takes damage 1 at a time, so the Golem will absorb as much as much for 3 characters before dying.
OR
2)  because it is not "targeted" at a specific character all characters including the Golem takes the 3 damage.

Offline Voxil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 09:44:18 PM »
Intuitively you would expect the Golem to redirect all of the damage.  The real question is "is all damage done simultaneously so that the golem takes it all"  or  "does the golem absorb up to his hp and then the rest of the damage is dealt as normal."?

Offline atthis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 10:42:27 PM »
Unfortunately this is probably something we can only be guessing about until they release the rulebook (highly unexpected) or beta starts. :(

Offline robbiesla

• "Player Experience Designer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 11:10:57 PM »
I believe that golem takes all damage. Don't quote me on that, Got work to do so not going to test it right now :p

WWKnight

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 11:14:29 PM »
Very good question.

judging by the description
"All Damage that would be dealt to a character you control is redirected to Martyr Golem."
It totally depends on how they scripted the events.
Either:
1) each character takes damage 1 at a time, so the Golem will absorb as much as much for 3 characters before dying.
OR
2)  because it is not "targeted" at a specific character all characters including the Golem takes the 3 damage.

Got absolutely nothing to do with targetting.

All damage will be redirected from your creatures to the golem.  The golem will take 7 damage and die.  Further damage wont be distrubuted between your creatures, because the spell doesnt get to "take aim" again.  Its been cast, the effect has resolved.  Its like casting a spell that says "deal 10 damage to target creature" targeting my Patient Zero while I have the golem out.  The spell hits the patient, but the replacement effect of the golem happens.  So instead, the golem takes 7 damage and dies, but the additional 3 damage are wasted.

Offline Koey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 02:18:48 AM »
Got absolutely nothing to do with targetting.

All damage will be redirected from your creatures to the golem.  The golem will take 7 damage and die.  Further damage wont be distrubuted between your creatures, because the spell doesnt get to "take aim" again.  Its been cast, the effect has resolved.  Its like casting a spell that says "deal 10 damage to target creature" targeting my Patient Zero while I have the golem out.  The spell hits the patient, but the replacement effect of the golem happens.  So instead, the golem takes 7 damage and dies, but the additional 3 damage are wasted.

What I meant by targeting depends on how the coding works. Interpretation more on thinking from a programming stand point not logic of cards.
If the coding depends on dealing damage out to one character at a time then the Golem would be taking damage for each character and dying before damage is dealt.
In that case what if the Golem has less than 3 hit points and then the spell recursively goes through list of units and knocking on their hit points.

The second method I mentioned, basically just knocks 3 damage off all units on the field regardless of abilities. Sort of like how Mass Death will ignore angelified unit.

I can see the second method easier to program rather than recursing through the list for a golem, then revert damage dealt. Then recurse to determine how damage is absorbed by Golem.

Offline robbiesla

• "Player Experience Designer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 02:54:13 AM »
Tested it during lunch break. the golem will take ALL damage from your characters. The golem will most likely die, but everything else will be safe

Offline Voxil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 04:25:10 AM »
Sweet.  That's good to hear.

Offline Synnym

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 08:07:07 AM »
My zombotified army will live atleast one turn, yay! :D

Offline Ashurroth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 06:03:32 PM »
Time to pledge $3 for 3 more copies of Martyr Golem lol

Offline Koey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 02:35:12 PM »
Time to pledge $3 for 3 more copies of Martyr Golem lol
If I remember the cards are account bound I believe, but best if lightmare can respond.