Author Topic: Rulebook and stuff  (Read 4296 times)

Offline Snarley

• View Profile
Rulebook and stuff
« on: November 22, 2012, 02:09:24 PM »
I'm big on rules. I'm a judge for Magic: the Gathering. I like to know why things happen the way they happen. I don't want the computer to just do things and never know why. Will there at any point be a way for me to see why and how the game determines the outcome of an action? How will copy and control layers work in this game if at all? And so on with the questions about in depth rules mechanics that no one else probably cares about...
Self confessed rules lawyer. For every game. How do I rules lawyer a computer though?

WWKnight

Re: Rulebook and stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 02:13:50 PM »
Lookit you...

name dropping your credentials like a big shot...  :P

You arent the first to try and get a rulebook, and you wont be the last.  However, the current word on that is "It doesnt exist".  And if it does, they arent sharing.

Perhaps if we get a big enough vocal outcry, they might get some intern to compile one for us :P

Offline Koey

• The one trapped in the Hamster ball.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 02:19:03 PM »
Think the reason there is no specific rules are because they are still fine tuning mechanics and adding in new mechanics.
Like purity in deck building.

Also they were discussing in adding in Initiative indicator to help user understands what happens.

The only rule we know so far regarding executions are:
1) Movement
2) Spells
3) Attack

Offline Snarley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 02:20:27 PM »
*Reverse engineers client* :p
Self confessed rules lawyer. For every game. How do I rules lawyer a computer though?

Offline Synnym

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 03:18:35 PM »
*Reverse engineers client* :p
you forgot to add "no jutsu" :P

Offline Snarley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 03:20:10 PM »
I don't get it. Please explain Synnym.

Offline Synnym

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 03:40:52 PM »
*ahem* "no jutsu" is japanese, it means something ability, the most mainstream use of that sentence is found in the manga/anime Naruto, where they put that behind just about every special (and a few normal) attacks, "fireball no jutsu" is an example.
But the Naruto franchise is actully just referring (very strongly) to the ancient and mythical stories of ninjas, that had some specific tricks up their sleeves, all of them named. I cant remember an example, but i think all of them are used in Naruto.
So by saying that i ment youre gonna use your "reverse engineer no justu" to reverse engineer the hell out of the codes to get your rulebook, like a ninja :P

Offline Voxil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 04:46:08 PM »
*ahem* "no jutsu" is japanese, it means something ability, the most mainstream use of that sentence is found in the manga/anime Naruto, where they put that behind just about every special (and a few normal) attacks, "fireball no jutsu" is an example.
But the Naruto franchise is actully just referring (very strongly) to the ancient and mythical stories of ninjas, that had some specific tricks up their sleeves, all of them named. I cant remember an example, but i think all of them are used in Naruto.
So by saying that i ment youre gonna use your "reverse engineer no justu" to reverse engineer the hell out of the codes to get your rulebook, like a ninja :P

But that would require him to watch an incredibly boring and trite anime.  And then assume that the rest of us do also ;)

Offline Michael Saniyan

• The furry brony without a Facebook account
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 04:56:56 PM »
Ah, a fellow rulebook requester. Yeah, we're just gonna have to wait, sadly.
"Lift me beyond the realm of men, so that I may never have to suffer through their lies again." - Angelify

Offline Synnym

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 05:26:15 PM »
The manga isnt that bad :P

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 07:19:31 AM »
This is something I personally would like to see represented in the final production of the game. Say in the main menu of the console you can simply have a rules listing be placed as one of the menu options. So that people feel comfortable knowing they can at the very least refer to this option.

Understandably true it might be that the information is too vast and untested to place it there right now, hence my use of the Final Production term.
No seriously, I really like cheese.

Quote from: Poga
I make this game, James.

Offline Synnym

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 11:28:28 AM »
There have been asked for a rulebook.. what about the "and stuff"? :P

Offline Ingram IronFist

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 06:50:57 AM »
I like the idea of a full rulebook in game. I would also like to see a drop down  rule explanation option for wile you are playing.

Offline Voxil

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 01:17:22 PM »
I like the idea of a full rulebook in game. I would also like to see a drop down  rule explanation option for wile you are playing.

That's not a bad idea.  Or being able to click on a subrule on a card to get an explanation of what it does.  That would be handy.

I think the main reason we don't havea  rule book yet is because there are still some things that could change.  I don't think anything substantial but they did mention maybe tweaking with the commanders.

Offline Koey

• The one trapped in the Hamster ball.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »

That's not a bad idea.  Or being able to click on a subrule on a card to get an explanation of what it does.  That would be handy.

I think the main reason we don't havea  rule book yet is because there are still some things that could change.  I don't think anything substantial but they did mention maybe tweaking with the commanders.
Also there are stuff Lightmare wants to keep under wraps as to not let another competitor grab their idea before their launch.
In game rules would be nice, like a ? function Hero Academy has would be nice for buttons that seem ambiguous.
Maybe even turn order, like how during execution you have stages like Movement, Spells and Abilities to keep the player more aware.