Author Topic: [CDC] Glory or Death [CLOSED]  (Read 2688 times)

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
[CDC] Glory or Death [CLOSED]
« on: October 28, 2016, 09:09:51 PM »
Card Design Challenge - Glory or Death

Greetings, fellow card designers.
The next card designing Challenge is ready for you to work your magic, so without further ado, here is the challenge:

Design a card that opens up a new way for your opponent to win.

I am not sure if this explains well enough what I want from you, so I'll add a few examples from old CDCs (there is no card like that in game yet).

First example: Grinning Gin's winning cards 2nd from the last challenge. It opens up the possibility for your opponent to win by killing off the character.

Name: The Nameless
Faction/Purity: Factionless
Type: Unique Creature - Unknown
Rarity: Legendary
Cost: 10
Morale: 0
Attack/Health: 30/30
Rules Text: Untouchable. The Nameless cannot be killed by non-damage sources. When The Nameless enters play, both players gain 25 morale and 25 life, both players shuffle their graveyards into their decks, and both players draw two cards. If The Nameless dies, you lose the game.

2nd example: 2nd place in CDC from a while ago.
Opens up the possibility for your opponent to kill off his own characters to push Azir over the treshhold and win the game that way.

Azir, Lord of Misfortune
Purity: 1CoV
Cost: 1
Morale: 10
Type: Unique Character - Demon
Stats: 1/1
Rarity: Epic

Untouchable
Everytime a player causes one of their own characters to die by one of their own abilities, put a might counter on Azir.
Azir gets +3/+3 for every counter placed on him.
If you control Azir at the end of the turn and he has 13 or more counters, you lose the game.

There are no restrictions on purity or card type.

I will judge the card to the best of my abilities for:
-Balance (is the card underwhelming/OP or opens up op combos?)

-Flavor (does it fit to the faction it is placed in? I appreciate if cards tie into the current lore, but it is by no means required)

-Creativity (is the card adding something intruiging that we didn't see yet?)

--- Card Design Challenge Rules ---
1) The Judge appoints a challenge, it can be anything, making new card, redesigning an old one or whatever you wish.
2) All that wish to participate submit their card design. Each participant may only submit one entry per challenge, you may however edit your post as many times as you wish till the deadline.
3) If you edit your post you should make an additional post in this thread informing of the edit to make sure that the updated version of the card will be judged. The post should contain the full updated card details as well as a brief summary of what changed from your original submission.
4) After an announced deadline the Judge decides a winner. The winner then becomes the Judge for the next round.
5) All entries submitted before the deadline are guaranteed feedback, either in this thread or in another detailed feedback thread.

PRIZES
1st place: 1 Faction Pack + 2 Collection Packs
2nd place: 2 Collection Packs
3rd place: 1 Collection Pack

SUGGESTED SUBMISSION FORMAT
Name:
Faction/Purity:
Type:
Rarity:
Cost:
Morale:
Attack/Health:
Rules Text:
Flavor Text:

The challenge is open for submissions until Friday, 11th of November.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 07:23:56 PM by ToxicShadow »

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
Re: [CDC] Glory or Death
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 01:51:37 AM »
Edit: I hated my original card - And the second one

Name: The Untamed World
Faction/Purity: 3WP OR 2WP/1GI
Type: Unique Location

When you play The Untamed World reset your base maximum resources to 1. Neither you nor your opponent may play any non-ability cards costing less than the most expensive creature on the battlefield controlled by any player at the start of the turn. If you do not control any creatures you lose the game.

"The warbands have assembled and the rifts are under our control. Now we drive out the invaders.

A very strong, but very risky card to play. On one hand you make it nearly impossible for your opponent to play a creature game against you. On the other hand, one board wipe and you're done. I deliberately gave it the option to work with a 1p GI splash simply to encourage that deck purity.

Edit - Updated restrictions to make the card more viable (and maybe over the OP cliff). Instead of stopping creatures from being played it stops the playing of all non-ability cards. So basically...if you can get titan of the new world out...GG.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 12:42:12 AM by ecliptix »
No matter the problem, the solution is always a flying emberstarter.

Offline Grinnin_Gin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 02:59:56 AM »
Name: Ode to Doom
Faction/Purity: CoV/Ex
Type: Mission
Cost: 5
Rules Text: You cannot lose the game while Ode to Doom is in play. Whenever a creature your opponent controls dies, Ode to Doom loses 5% completion. Whenever your opponent deploys a creature, Ode to Doom gains 10% completion. If Ode to Doom reaches 100% completion, you lose the game.

Flavor Text:

Let me spin you the tale of doom,
When the witching hour loomed,

Darkness fell upon the pair,
As they plotted in their lair,

Aleta, hale with hair of gold,
^a%3& , pale and sickly cold,

Scraps of power in words of ink,
Death betwix'd the chains that link,

Comfort could not again be sought,
though they held each other for naught.

They came apart in a bloom and,
Their dying hour was all gloom.

-Cult of Verore Folksong

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 12:33:49 AM by Grinnin_Gin »

Offline mew28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 03:06:27 AM »
Name: Aberion Champion of the Dawn
Faction/Purity:3FD
Type: Unique Creature - Human
Cost: 8
Morale: 15
Attack/Health: 15/15
Rules Text:Charge. unstoppable, indestructible
If your opponent did not play any cards this turn and you did not damage there fortress you lose the game.
Aberion can not be moved out of the assault zone
Flavor Text: Once Aberion takes to the field it is like a force of nature that will end with either his victory or the death of a nation.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 04:03:59 PM by mew28 »

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 03:20:27 AM »
Name: The Final Ritual
Faction/Purity: 2 CoV
Type: Location
Cost: 1
Rules Text: Untouchable. While 'The Final Ritual' is in play characters cannot attack. Your opponent may exhaust any number of characters they control each turn. For each character exhausted in this way 'The Final Ritual' becomes 2% more complete. Once 'The Final Ritual' reaches 100% completion your opponent wins the game.

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 04:05:14 AM »

---
Edit 3
Djinn of Eternal Thirst
2p FD
5 cost
0 morale
Unique Character- Djinn

Untouchable, Consume 3

Djinn of Eternal Thirst can only be in the support zone if deployed.

If deployed, at the beginning of each turn, choose one:
-Characters in your assault zone gain indestructible until end of turn. Remove this line of text from this card.
-Destroy target deployed permanent. Remove this line of text from this card
-Draw a card, if that card is a character deploy it in your assault zone, at the end of the turn sacrifice that character. Remove this line of text from this card.
-Djinn of Eternal Thirst kills all characters you control, deal 4 damage to target opponent's fortress for each character killed this way. Remove this line of text from this card
-You lose 88 morale. Remove this line of text from this card.
-You lose the game at the end of the turn.

0/20

---
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:34:26 PM by Hiding »

Offline Number11

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 07:34:04 PM »
Super Virus Bomb
1p GI, 1p SoA, 1p CoV
3 cost
Artifact

This card enters play under the opponents control. Gains 10% completion at end of turn. At 100% completion the player controlling the card loses the game. The player controlling the card at end of turn loses 5 morale.
Pay 3: Give the opponent control of this card.
Pay 1(Opponent): Negate the effect of the card switching sides until the start of the next turn.

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 01:38:38 PM »

Nemesis Djinn
2p Verore
2 cost
0 morale
Unique Character- Djinn

Untouchable, Indestructible
Only your opponents may activate this card's abilities. This card cannot be moved from any zone.

pay 1: This card's activator draws a card, this card's owner draws 2 cards. At the end of the turn, this ability changes.

0/20

While I really like the idea of the card, it doesnt qualify for the challenge: The card is required to lose you the game for sure if the losing condition is fullfilled. Sure, the 3rd state of the card can deal huge amounts of damage to you (if your opponent can effort activating it often enough without dying), but there are still ways around losing to that (for example by healing to avoid lethal).

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 04:01:03 PM »
wot bout nao

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 04:16:19 PM »
That certainly qualifies now.

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 02:23:15 PM »
I don't know if this will work, since it's borderline but arguable, but here goes:

Heresiarch Demon
2 CoV
Character
Epic
6 cost
20 Morale
30/30
Flying
You cannot win the game. Your opponent cannot lose the game. (Note: this means that there cannot be a draw)
CARDNAME cannot be the target of your own abilities.
When you play CARDNAME, you lose 20 morale.
Behold the dark summoning circle, splashed with blood. Each sacrifice was cut in two, unholy food. Three bodies there were, angels from afar. Their pieces formed a six-pointed star. Fell was the creature that sprang forth. A shadow cast from south to north. The summoners fled, all betrayed. Their spirits broken by the demonic raid. Treacherous Heresiarch. Your villainy ne'er misses its mark.

On the one hand, it doesn't outright win your opponent the game. On the other, they can't lose either. Most stupid combos are negated by making it so you can't target it yourself, it costs a hefty chunk of morale just to play (seriously hefty, to bring home the challenge theme), and the effect of "you can't win, your opponent can't lose" is blatantly lifted from MtG. The ideal combo with this card is to play it, deal some 90 damage to your opponent's fortress, then either Calamity or Mass Death to get rid of it and finish your opponent off with, say, a Siphon Structure. You can also block with it. As an opponent, you can block or stumble it to stay alive whilst dealing as much damage as possible to the controller and theoretically securing the win. If you want it gone for that hefty morale hit, as the opponent you can target it, so those Death Rays and Hubris of the Strongs and Demonizes will all work. It isn't unique because where's the fun in that? If you want to play multiples of this demon, more power to ya.

In short, playing this card gives your opponent the following options: Keep it alive, and you can't lose. Kill it, and the player will lose enough morale that they've probably lost.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 04:07:25 PM »
I don't know if this will work, since it's borderline but arguable, but here goes:

Heresiarch Demon
2 CoV
Character
Epic
6 cost
20 Morale
30/30
Flying
You cannot win the game. Your opponent cannot lose the game. (Note: this means that there cannot be a draw)
CARDNAME cannot be the target of your own abilities.
When you play CARDNAME, you lose 20 morale.
Behold the dark summoning circle, splashed with blood. Each sacrifice was cut in two, unholy food. Three bodies there were, angels from afar. Their pieces formed a six-pointed star. Fell was the creature that sprang forth. A shadow cast from south to north. The summoners fled, all betrayed. Their spirits broken by the demonic raid. Treacherous Heresiarch. Your villainy ne'er misses its mark.

I have to admit that I was a bit torn about what to decide for the card since i really like the concept, but I am afraid I can't allow it. The concept of not being able to win/the opponent being unable to lose is kind of the reverse of what i have asked for in the challenge (a new way for the opponent to win or for you to lose) and while this is a high risk card, it isnt outright guranteed kill you even in the worst case. Since I refused hidings first djinn for the reason not to be a certain loss in the worst case scenario, i have to disqualify this card too and ask for a redesign :(. Although I really love the idea and think that it is pretty interesting.

Offline ArcaneAzmadi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 11:36:54 AM »
Name: Take the Field
Faction/Purity: Neutral
Type: Ability
Rules Text: Create a personal incarnation in your support zone with your name. Your Fortress health and Morale are removed; your Fortress cannot take damage and you cannot lose Morale.
Flavor Text: If you want something done right...

This ability creates the following character in your Support Zone:

Name: [your player name]
Faction/Purity: [your purity]
Type: Character [gains type for each purity it has: Verore/Genesis/Flame Dawn/DoD=Human, Warpath=Beast, Exiles=Demon, Overseers=Angel, Sleepers=Undead]
Cost: 0
Morale: 0
Attack/Health: [your remaining Morale when you play Take the Field]/[your remaining Fortress health when you play Take the Field]
Rules Text: Shield 1
[card name] cannot be removed from play by any means other than its destruction, or have its base text altered.
If [card name] is not exhausted, you must move it to the battlefield on your turn.
If [card name] is destroyed, you lose the game.
Pay 10: Destroy target character.
Flavor Text: ...best to do it yourself.

OK, so this might require a bit of explanation: what the ability Take the Field basically does is turn YOU into an incredibly powerful character. So rather than destroying your Fortress or depleting your morale, your opponent's objective is now to kill you directly. Its stats might be a bit confusing, so here's a direct example: if I play this card in a Sleepers/Overseers/DoD deck when I have 75 Fortress health left and 83 Morale, I would create a 83/75 Undead Angel Human with the triple purity of Sleepers/Overseers/DoD, named "ArcaneAzmadi". While I would have Shield to protect me from losing the game to a single Death Ray, I still HAVE to fight every turn unless something forces me off the Battlefield. The card is obviously incredibly risky and not meant for "serious" play (more like similar over-the-top cards such as Call the Warpath or Ultra-Unit).

The line "[card name] cannot be removed from play by any means other than its destruction, or have its base text altered." means that the personal incarnation cannot be removed from play temporarily by the likes of Verore Kidnapper or Mysterious Box of Wonder, or permanently by The Calamity. Also, it CANNOT be hit with Humble, as that would remove the loss condition and leave your opponent literally incapable of winning (unless they had an alternate win condition). It does NOT prevent it from having its stats modified by the likes of Hubris of the Strong (which makes Hubris incredibly nasty against it, but that's the risk you take).

EDIT: Occurred to me that it makes more sense if Fortress health becomes HP and Morale becomes attack, not vice versa.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 09:09:45 PM by ArcaneAzmadi »
Always expect the worst and you can only be pleasantly surprised.

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 06:24:39 PM »
Gonna judge tomorrow around this time +/- 2 hours, so if anyone wants to enter/modify their entry, you ll have time til then.

Offline Equastro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 09:35:07 PM »
Name: Mind and Body One
Faction/Purity: 2p DoD
Type: Unique Ability Card
Cost: 4
Morale: -
Attack/Health: -
Rules Text: At the end of the turn, your morale and health are mediated. Starting next turn, for each point of morale damage taken, your fortress now also takes a point of damage. For each point of fortress damage taken, you also take a point of morale damage.
(Your morale and health are set to your current health and morale added together, divided by 2, plus a bonus equal to the current turn count.)
Flavor Text: One can only truly shine, when heart and mind align.

This is a card that could buy the player another turn at a hefty cost. Example: your fortress is down to 10 health and 70 morale. As an ultimate attempt to not lose this turn, you play this card at turn 10. Your new health and morale become (10+70)/2 + 10 = 50 hp & morale. However, each time a character of yours dies that morale damage also applies to your health. And if a player would play dark blast for example, you would also take 12 morale damage. So although you may have bought another turn, it gets a lot easier to lose now.

I made this card as the ultimate last resort card for the DoD faction, which could use some love. Since the faction takes some time to ramp up to effectiveness, it is very vulnerable to board wipe cards such as calamity. As the ultimate stall card this card buys a little time to recover from that, also aiding in the effectiveness of DoD's alternate win conditions (quest for balance, ju-lin, shrine). At the same time, it opens up the possibility of winning for the other player by not only focusing on fortress damage, but also on morale damage.