Author Topic: Pod 1--Flame Dawn--In Character  (Read 5272 times)

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
Re: Pod 1--Flame Dawn--In Character
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2016, 11:09:58 PM »
INCOMING TRANSMISSION

It appears that Lord Commander Erebus has left the Dawn and taken the 1000 knights with him. Having joined the Firmament Foundation, he has launched a propaganda campaign against the Dawn. It is imperative that all future budgets be sent in via a secret channel--all propaganda posts should be posted here for the public to see.

Our modified Troop Placements:
Occupying Neon: 2000 Aspirants
Occupying Lanstead: 2000 Aspirants
Occupying the Talich-Untamed Rift: 1000 Morningstar Knights

We also have the following unique character bonuses:
Klore: 500 Aspirants are converted into Knights each turn
Nix: The first assault each turn gets a +1 Surprise bonus
Aberion: All further knights and morningstar knights are immune to insubordination.

Glory to the Empire!

END TRANSMISSION
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 11:29:25 PM by Benionin »
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2016, 03:38:35 AM »
TURN 10

The council chamber would no doubt seem lonely with only Mew there, if he was still meeting in the council chamber. Instead, the hastily renovated War Room of Pyr now held Aberion's throne and Mew's council seat.

"Your ambush plan proved useful, if not infallible," Aberion rumbled, cracking the knuckles in his hands. "However, now is the time to strike, not to hide in shadows."

"Absolutely, my lord," Mew replied quickly. "I intend upon grinding Erebus's face into the dust beneath my heel."

Battle Report:
The traitors who call themselves the Firmament Foundation launched an attack on Aubade. From the size of the forces involved, it seems that the Foundation applied nearly all available troops to the battle. It was bloody and hardfought, and the outnumbered knights defending the city heroically held their ground against incredible odds. As the battle raged, the ambushing force swept from the east and inflicted more casualties upon the traitors. Total Flame Dawn losses: 500 Knights, 500 Aspirants. The 250 surviving members of the ambushing force have retreated to the south of the city. Aubade has been lost to the Firmament Foundation.

Diplomatic Report:
Our envoys to the Overseers managed to mollify the angels and return them to a state of alliance. The beasts of the Warpath have been similarly tamed by promises to return the Aleta of the Untamed World to them following the Foundation's defeat. The Descendants of the Dragon remain hostile, shooting all envoys on sight.

Research Report:
Our researchers were hard at work these past weeks. Not only were they able to confirm that the alleged kill switch in the Morningstar suits of armor was in fact nonexistent, but they were also able to complete the GOLIATH program. Research points may now be allocated to the creation of Goliath Tanks or Morningstar Knights.

Recruitment Report:
Our recruiters were able to bring in 500 Aspirants, and thanks to the efforts of Klore 500 Aspirants were promoted to Knighthood.

Security Report:
Saboteurs from the Firmament Foundation attempted to blow the bridges in Aubade, but our security forces succeeded in stopping these efforts.

Troop Dispositions:
In Lanstead: 500 Aspirants
Nearby Lanstead: 750 Aspirants
In Neon: 500 Aspirants
Nearby Neon: 750 Aspirants
In Pyr: 750 Aspirants
Defending the Rift to the Untamed World: 1000 Morningstar Knights

"With our diplomatic troubles smoothed away," Mew said, "we'll be free to attack now."

"Good," Aberion grunted. "And be sure to teach my runt brother a lesson." He growled and cracked his knuckles again. "I'm going to wring his neck when I get my hands on him. Rebelling from me! What kind of brother does that?"

Mew nodded. "We'll certainly deal with all of the traitors, sir."

Aberion nodded curtly. "Good. Because of the loss of Aubade, we're down to only 18 budget points. Retake the city and crush the traitors. Give me your budget by the 24th."
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 03:47:08 AM by Benionin »
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2016, 03:50:26 AM »
TURN 11

"Our troops are in place, my lord. All 500 Knights, 2500 Aspirants, and 1500 Morningstar Knights are ready for action."

"If they're ready, then why didn't you order the attack?"

Mew sighed. Here he was, trying something different, something he knew Erebus wouldn't expect, and yet Aberion couldn't see that.

"Our allies the Overseers have sent word. Sol sends his regards and 500 Auxiliaries, and he has promised more. They're currently guarding Pyr. We've also managed to re-commission one of Genesis Industries' old combat robot factories. If we so choose, we can allocate research points to the construction of combat robots."

"Hmm. I suppose that's all well and good, but I'm growing impatient, Mew. Send in your budget by the 31st."
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:42:15 PM by Benionin »
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2016, 04:21:22 AM »
An envoy has returned from the Warpath

"My Lord," he said. "I spoke with the beasts of the Warpath, extending our offer to return their leader to them should they aid us. Things... did not go as planned."

"What do you mean?"

"Well... somehow, she was already there. She smiled at me, then turned me away. The Firmament Foundation got her back to the Untamed World somehow and now the Warpath is allied with them. They haven't yet declared war on us, but who knows how long it will be."

"How did they return her through the rift without our knowledge?" Mew demanded.

"I don't know sir. I don't know."
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2017, 05:06:29 AM »
TURN 12

Mew sat down in the Jittarian council chamber, staring at the radio in front of him. "Alright," he sighed to an aide, "fire it up. Let's contact Aberion and then I expect the reports from the other battle groups."

The radio crackled to life. "Mew, excellent job taking Jittar. From what I've heard, that will net us an additional two budget points, back up to 20."

"Thank you, my lord," Mew smiled, but Aberion wasn't finished.

"Nevertheless, my younger brother still sits on my throne in Aubade! I want that city back, Mew, do you hear me?" His voice softened. "I know what you're doing, Mew, and it's certainly been working. But it rankles me that my upstart brat of a brother now has my shining city of dawn!"

Mew nodded, even though Aberion couldn't see it. "Of course, my Lord. Erebus and his rebels will be unable to recover from the blows we have dealt today."

The conversation ended. "Well?" Mew demanded, looking at his aid. "I want those reports now!"

Trembling, the aid rushed over to where a printer was grinding out the reports. He took a glance, winced, and turned them over.

Battle Report:
Sword Battalion took the city of Jittar without resistance, increasing the Flame Dawn Empire's budget allocations to 20 points. Unfortunately, during the capture of the city the two Aleta's were not located, and are presumed escaped. Moreover, when the scouts of the Firmament Foundation noticed the thinning of the hidden ambush forces, they attempted a breakout. Hammer Battalion was recalled from its mission to take the city of Bask to deal with the attack, and only through its timely reinforcement of the besieging soldiers did it prevent a total rout. Casualties were heavy, especially on the side of the Flame Dawn Empire, given that our soldiers are unused to and disadvantaged in a defensive situation.

"How did they know of our ambush?" Mew growled. "Nevermind."

Diplomatic Report:
Sol sent an additional 500 Overseers to the battle at Aubade, and they immediately fell upon the city from above. It was at this time that the Foundation revealed its newly upgraded anti-air guns and wiped the angels from the sky. All of the auxiliaries at Aubade were massacred during their assault. Additionally, while the Descendants of the Dragon still refuse to speak with the Dawn, the Warpath has not yet declared war upon the Empire, which can be considered a diplomatic victory considering the still-strained relations between us and the beasts.

There are also reports of something called the Infinite Worlds Defense Force, which appears to be some form of defensive alliance proposed by the Firmament Foundation. What it entails is not yet clear.

Security Report:
Saboteurs from the Firmament Foundation attempted to disrupt our supply lines and hamper our ability to wage war. However, thanks to the diligent heroics of our security teams, the Flame Dawn empire emerged unscathed from these attempts.

Troop placements:
Occupying Jittar
Sword Battalion: 500 Knights, 700 Morningstar Knights, 400 Overseers Auxiliaries
Besieging Aubade:
1000 Aspirants, 600 Morningstar Knights, 500 Knights

Mew pounded his fist on the table. "So many lost! 1000 Aspirants, 200 of my Morningstars! And 600 bloody angels, shot from the sky like clay pigeons." He calmed. "Still, even though we were unable to take both cities, the siege of Aubade was maintained. Erebus is bottled up and soon enough will have nowhere to run to, even with his teleporters."

He scribbled a note to himself:
Objectives:
--Defeat the Firmament Foundation
--Capture Aubade, on order of Aberion himself
--Conquer the World
--Submit budget by the 7th.
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2017, 02:49:00 AM »
TURN 13

The morning of TURN 13: Mew awoke in Jittar, ready to lead his troops away from the city and back to Aubade. "Today shall be a day of days," he said, smiling.

Mew strode into Aberion's command tent, where the Champion of Force--force embodied, in truth--was attended by a group of menials who cleaned him off after the battle. Seeing his councilman enter, Aberion beckoned for the menials to depart. Bowing and scraping, they scuttled backwards into the shadows. Large braziers filled the tent, their roaring flames sending shadows across the walls and across Aberion's bare chest--notably unscarred by the battle, though there were still traces of blood and grime.

"I bring good news, my Lord," Mew said. "The Overseers tell me that they have razed Kyrallic to the ground. Not a soul survived."

Aberion grunted.

"My lord, if I may... how went the battle for Aubade?"

Aberion scowled, shadows flickering across his face to create an even more fearsome visage. "When I arrived, our Aspirants had all defected and our Knights were surrounded and under attack. Hilderic and I led a breakout and managed to cut through the enemy ranks. Damn bloody mess you've created, Mew. I want to know what happened to our Morningstars!"

"I'm not sure, my Lord," he replied. "They were gone when you arrived?"

Aberion nodded.

"Then I can't say. However, I have returned with 700 Morningstars and other soldiers. And Sol has promised to give us more auxiliaries every turn. He is eager to crush the Firmament Foundation now that they have trespassed in Avarrach."

Aberion sighed. "Very well." A pause. "I saw him, you know. In the fight. That Captain Jiro, of the Descendants of the Dragon. He was a whirlwind with his spear." He laughed. "I could have taken him, oversized pigsticker or not."

Mew smiled. "Of course."

An aide rushed in. "I'm sorry sir, but we just got a report from Neon and Lanstead. You're not going to like this."

Aberion stood, bristling, his wings fully extended in fiery splendor. "What is it?" he thundered, and the aide trembled.

"Genesis Industries veterans flying the colors of the Firmament Foundation have captured Lanstead and Neon," the aide finally said, barely able to get the words out in his fear.

Aberion seemed ready to explode. He struck out and knocked over a brazier. Fortunately, the tent was made out of fire-resistant material for precisely that reason. While the embers spread across the floor, the aide fled.

"They can't possibly hold those positions, though," Mew said. "I doubt that they're there in any amount of force."

"Thanks to those Genesis veterans we've lost two cities, dropping us to 16 budget points," Aberion grumbled, slumping into his seat. "I'm going to tear Erebus' black heart out and feed it to him, the traitor. And then I'll bash his brains in. We'll see how clever he is then."

Mew bowed and left the tent, knowing that the audience was over. "Well, our security teams didn't find anything, which is good. Still... what happened at Aubade? Nevermind. I'll get in my budget by the 14th."

All around, the camp was alive as Sword Battalion reinforced the few knights who had made it out of Aubade.

Troop Dispositions:
South of Aubade: 1000 Knights, 700 Morningstar Knights, 400 Overseers Auxiliaries
Pyr: 500 Aspirants
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2017, 04:10:49 AM »
From Mew's tent, there is the sound of a bullet being fired.
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2017, 07:25:18 AM »
Although the corpse had been removed, Mew hadn't bothered to clean up the blood splatter from the assassin he had shot. Whether it was one of Erebus' cowards or simply a defector he didn't care; all he knew was that someone had tried to kill him.

"They're going to have to do better than that," he growled, not for the first time.

An aid lifted up the tent flap. "Sir, there's someone here to speak with you."

Mew took a seat and poured himself a cup of stimulant. "Very well, send them in."

A man in black and silver armor strode into the tent, his white hair cut short. His skin was pale and eyes were as grey as the clouds--the man was so devoid of color that he seemed half-dead. He smiled, but instead of being disarming it merely seemed uncanny.

"My name is Silfurstar, Lord Mew. I have come to offer my services to the Dawn."

Mew tried to stifle a headache. "Very well, thank you for your support. I'm sure there's an enlistment station somewhere around here."

"You misunderstand," Silfurstar said smoothly with the same uncanny smile. "I'm not here to enlist. I have come to offer my services."

"So you're a mercenary."

"Of sorts," the man said, walking deeper into the tent and taking a seat across from Mew's desk. "You'll find that I have a particular set of skills that will prove invaluable to your army."

Mew was growing suspicious--the term 'invaluable' when combined with mercenaries was never a good sign. "What sort of skills? What makes you think the glorious Flame Dawn Empire needs mercenary scum like you?"

"Tsk, tsk," Silfurstar chided. "Hardly a proper way to address someone who comes with an offer of aid."

"Well, spit it out then! I don't have time for games."

"It's quite simple: your army suffered greatly in the last battle. The siege of Aubade was smashed open and only Aberion's arrival allowed the knights there to escape, while only your arrival in turn prevented the Firmament Foundation from hunting down and killing the leader of your so-called 'glorious' empire. Your army has been decimated and I can help you to rebuild."

"I need concrete answers, Silfurstar. How do you intend to help the Dawn?"

"Half of all of your fallen will rise at my command to strike down your enemies."

"I can already summon ghost knights. If that is all you have to offer I suggest that you go."

"I've seen your ghost knights, very impressive. Locked to a single battlefield, only available for a short time. Pathetic. The Descendants can do better with their eyes closed. And, for the right price, I can do even better than them."

"So finally we're down to business, then. What's your price?"

"2 resources this turn and 1 more for every subsequent turn," the man said.

"That's outrageous! Get out of my tent!"

"Very well," Silfurstar said, rising with a smile, "I'm sure the Firmament Foundation will be pleased to employ my services."

"You're right," Mew admitted, "and we can't let that happen." Pulling a pistol out from his desk, he shot the man in the heart.

Silfurstar only laughed as he erupted in silver flames. "Oh, you can't kill me that easily," he said. "And my Revenants are just as resilient as I am." He turned to leave.

"Wait!" Mew said, putting down the gun and reaching out. "Give me some time to consider your offer."

Silfurstar smiled that lifeless smile. "Of course. I'll be around."
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2017, 03:20:27 AM »
TURN 14

The road to Pyr had been littered with corpses. A highway through the hellish desert of Talich's interior, pursued by the Firmament Foundation, burdened by supplies, burdened by the act of retreat itself. Long was the road, and many died from the Foundation's constant raids, from the heat, from the march.

Some might call it a withdrawal. Some might call it a death march. Some might call it a retreat. All the knights of the Flame Dawn knew was that the sun was beating down on their golden armor and that their water rations always seemed to run out just as soon as they were refilled. It was a miracle that their supply lines were able to support the army's demands, but Bromich's plans laid all those years ago still held true, still kept the beating heart of the Empire alive. 600 knights were lost along the way. A miracle of logistics, all things considered.

The army swept into the fortress at Pyr, garrisoning themselves and readying for yet another fight, for the instant assault of the Firmament Foundation and their damnable allies with armor of jade. Yet no attack came, only the steady arrival of more and more enemy troops and the creation of more and more siege lines around the fortress.

Silfurstar and his Revenants departed south of the fortress before the siege closed, their numbers swollen by the losses along the route south. Mew had watched them go, waiting for the reports of success and the news that his investment in the mercenary was sound. Now the dispatches were coming back. His spirits had flooded into Lanstead and were even now fighting with the city's garrison, having smashed through newly manufactured combat robots--from stolen factories--and a pitiable line of militia. 700 Revenants vs 400 Genesis Veterans under the leadership of the rebel Lucca herself. Mew smiled. Soon they would fall.

A report came in from Bask. The 100 knights he had ordered to swing northeast while the army retreated had made it there without incident. The city had mistaken them for Foundation troops and had welcomed them with open arms. The crimson flag of the Flame Dawn was once again flying in Bask before the citizens realized their mistake.

Mew watched from one of Pyr's high towers as Iruel strode forth, alone, towards the enemy lines. Once again he smiled as his champion readied to slay a champion of the foe. He could not hear the challenge from the lofty distance of the tower, but he knew who Iruel was calling to combat. Kali would never back down from Iruel's challenge. No one ever did, and someone as brave, as brash, as she, as confident in her power, would certainly accept. Grabbing a pair of binoculars, Mew prepared to watch.

Kali sprung into the air, propelled by metal wings given to her by the Overseers before she had rebelled. Iruel raised himself aloft on a jetpack, pistols firing. As Kali zoomed towards him, it was evident that she was the more maneuverable, her wings clearly superior to Iruel's jetpack. Yet Iruel was firing at range and managed to clip Kali's left shoulder--she dropped one of her two swords thanks to the wound, but kept coming.

And then, she was upon him. Flitting past him faster than he could adjust with the jetpack's controls, Kali swung her famous flaming sword. It struck Iruel in the shoulder, throwing him into a spin and searing through a pauldron.

The Flaming Blade, the Purifier, the Angels' Chosen, the Rebel, swooped down towards Mew's champion-slayer, seeking to take advantage of his distress and finish him off. Dropping his pistol towards the ground far below, Iruel drew his own sword and met Kali's with a clash of steel and the sparks of magical fire. Firing his jetpack into gear, he righted his spin and threw her back, a strong downward cleave sending her spiraling towards the ground, where she landed with a crash and an explosion of dust.

Iruel landed with a short stumble, still not entirely used to the transition back and forth from air and land. Striding forward, he prepared to end the fight. The Flame Dawn always seeks to end fights quickly and decisively. Kali knew this. Iruel knew this. Neither was there for a long, drawn-out exhibition of combat. They were there to kill their opponent. As Iruel approached, his footsteps heavy in the dust, Kali suddenly leapt back to her feet, her flaming blade darting out and cutting through his hastily raised sword, cutting into his breastplate, and searing his flesh. Iruel stumbled backwards in pain and fell to the ground, smoking rising from the wound. He coughed and gasped for breath, weaponless, as Kali stumbled forward, showing signs of her wounds and fatigue.

As Iruel now knew, the ground is not a welcoming surface. It was hard, uneven, and covered in dust that found its way into his mouth, into the chinks in his armor, everywhere. He struggled to breathe and felt around, hoping for a rock. What he found would have made him smile if he could stop coughing long enough, if he could start breathing normally long enough, to control his face. Kali limped over, raising her blade to deliver the killing blow, dust and grime smeared over her golden chestplate and her mangled wings more detriment than augment.

A gunshot rang out. Then another. And a third. Iruel slowly, methodically, emptied his clip into Kali's chest. She stumbled forward another step, then fell, her flaming blade barely missing Iruel. Coughing, he struggled to rise. There were shouts of alarm and dismay from the other side and soldiers were already darting forward to retrieve her body, to reclaim her flaming swords. Wisely, Iruel did his best to stumble towards Pyr, dropping his gun, even shedding his damaged jetpack, as the fires burned up his lungs. He didn't make it far, but soldiers were already spilling out of the fortress to bring him back.

If I live, he thought, collapsing, barely able to breathe, his eyes struggling to stay open and his mind to stay sane as his body was consumed by pain, I will never be able to fight again.

Troop Dispositions:
In Pyr:
1000 Aspirants, 200 Goliath Tanks, 800 Knights, 700 Morningstar Knights, 900 Overseers Auxiliaries
In Bask:
100 Knights
Contesting Lanstead:
Silfurstar's 700 Revenants

Budget points: 18
Gao Han or Gao Home!