Author Topic: So, You Think You Can Run a Faction?  (Read 5134 times)

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
So, You Think You Can Run a Faction?
« on: October 02, 2016, 06:36:44 PM »
Greetings, Infinity Warriors! This is a project that I've been working on since this summer. It still needs some tweaking, but allow me to present:

So You Think You Can Run a Faction
An Infinity Wars Roleplaying Forum Game

It is a time of Infinite War. Each faction is facing an unprecedented strain on their resources. In the wake of the infestation of the Sleepers of Avarrach, each faction must rebuild and expand or face extinction at the hands of their enemies. Although they have retreated to their home planes, they are eager to expand.

You, the players, will steer a single faction with that goal in mind. Acting as an advising council to your faction’s leader, you will suggest actions and allocations of resources in order to ensure the primacy of your faction.

Currently active games and prospective games are listed at the bottom of this post.

The Rules:
I’m looking for something like 3-5 players to play this game. You’ll decide on which faction you’ll be playing as a group, and then I’ll start the game.

Each turn will consist of three things:
A State of the Faction report, provided by the GM
Statements by the council members (you)
A vote, if necessary

Following these actions, I’ll crunch the numbers, see what happens, and then I’ll present another State of the Faction report. Right now I’m planning on having games last for 10 turns, but we’ll play it by ear. Turns will last for approximately one in-universe month.

Factions:
You can pick any faction you want but with the following caveats:
The Sleepers are at present off-limits to players.
The Factionless, by definition, do not count as a faction and are therefore off-limits.
If you pick the Cult of Verore, you must pick a side and know that you will have very limited resources.
The Overseers of Solace are at present off-limits, as I'm still working on balancing their presence/theaters of warfare.
If you want to pick either of the Star Trek factions, be my guest. You’ll probably be slaughtered. Very Kobayashi Maru. Have fun! Star Trek factions are currently off-limits due to implementation problems.

Council Statements:
You play the game by issuing in-character statements. These statements should begin with an introduction and a sort of mission statement, declaring your own priorities as an adviser. You’ll follow that up with a series of proposals (for instance, a plan for an invasion or a diplomatic overture), ending your statement with a budget breakdown.

The budget is somewhat abstract..Rather than counting currency, you’ll each be allocating 16 points to the following categories. For ease of use, please include a short summary of what these resources are for. I’ll tally up the percentage of resources allocated to each budget category and use that to help determine the outcome of the turn.

Exploration (scouting rifts or areas within known worlds)
Diplomacy (dealing with other factions, especially the Overseers)
Fortification (we’re gonna build a wall and the Exiles are gonna pay for it)
Offense (dispatching an invasion force to take Lanstead)
Recruitment (we always need more soldiers)
Industry (more factories to meet the demands of war)
Research (better science, better spells)
Security (stopping spies and malcontents)

Frequency of the Game:
This obviously isn’t something that requires everyone to get together at the same time and roleplay for several hours. Instead, you’ll have all week to plan your statements and issue your budgets. I’d like to issue the State of the Faction updates (aka start each new turn) on Sundays.

Some more rules:
No traitors or working counter to your faction’s interests.
Try to participate in every meeting of the council. If you can’t spare the time for whatever reason, please let me know.
Don’t expect to rely on lore for this. I’m setting this campaign fairly late in the lore (so there’s not much to go on anyway) and I’m planning on adapting to the way that you play. If you want to play as the Exiles and ally with the Overseers of Solace, go ahead and try to do so.
And most importantly, have fun and be civil. You can have intra-council rivalries, but remember that you’re all on the same side.

Given the loose schedule for this campaign-system, I will happily run multiple campaigns and do my best to accommodate as many groups as possible. (for instance, one group of five players may be playing as the Exiles while another group of four players plays as the Flame Dawn. I have no idea how much interest there will be, so I’m just being prepared to accommodate as many people as I can) Note that these campaigns will not be competing against each other. I’d ask you to only participate in one campaign at a time. If you want to play again when your campaign is over, you start a new campaign rather than continuing your previous one.
I’d like to limit the posts in the official thread for each campaign to in-character conversation. Out-of-character questions or comments can either be in this base thread or in a dedicated commentary thread for that particular campaign.

I'm not going to spill all of the details for each faction, but here's a list of the factions you can pick, approximations of difficulty, and their special rules:
The Warpath: The Warpath cannot allocate resources to Industry. Difficulty: Medium. I think.
Genesis Industries: Industry points also bolster Genesis forces by constructing combat robots. Cannot make peace with the Overseers of Solace. Difficulty: Medium.
The Flame Dawn: Must always be at war with at least one faction. The Flame Dawn cannot allocate resources to Fortification. Difficulty: Easy.
The Exiles: the Exiles cannot allocate resources to Industry. The Exiles also have the following special recruiting rules: 1) Resources allocated to recruitment will bring in devils or (more likely) humans. 2) other warbands of Exiles may be recruited. 3) resources allocated to Research may be used to corrupt humans into devils. Other special rules may be added as more Arch-demons are recruited. Difficulty: Medium to Hard.
The Descendants of the Dragon: Fallen soldiers of the Descendants of the Dragon rise again as Spirits. In addition, points allocated to Research may be used to summon more ancestral spirits. Difficulty: Easy.
Cult of Verore (Rita): Cult of Verore (Rita) cannot allocate points to Industry. Research points may be used to upgrade Thralls into Brutes, Cultists into Sorceresses, or to recruit/enslave True Demons from the Hellmouth. Difficulty: Hard.
Cult of Verore (Candit): Cult of Verore (Candit) cannot allocate points to Industry. Research points may be used to upgrade Cultists into Sorceresses. Difficulty: Hard.
Cult of Verore (Player Faction): The Cult of Verore (Player Faction) cannot allocate resources to Industry. Points allocated to Research may be used to upgrade Cultists to Sorceresses or Thralls to Brutes. Difficulty: Hard.
The Klingon Empire: The Klingon Empire cannot allocate points to Recruitment. Points allocated to Research and Industry work to fix their ship, allowing them to return to the Star Trek Universe. Difficulty: Today is a good day to die.
The Federation: The Federation cannot allocate points to Recruitment. However, points allocated to Diplomacy may result in local forces joining them. Points allocated to Research and Industry work to fix their ship, allowing them to return to the Star Trek Universe. Difficulty: Today is still a good day to die.

Note that I've run a single 5-turn playtest of the system. I will include the records of their game in a separate thread for your reference. I will also include a sample budget here.

As of 10/31/2016, there is a limit of only 5 active pods at a time.

Current Running Pods
Flame Dawn--2 players, on Turn 10 in pvp mode.
Warpath--2 players, on Turn 8. IN NEED OF REPLACEMENT PLAYERS.
Descendants of the Dragon--2 players waiting to begin Turn 1

Current Prospective Pods
Exiles--ToxicShadow (maybe NightWish Lord)
Genesis Industries--Hiding
Cult of Verore (any, pref Candit)--PhoenixSeeker (maybe NightWish Lord)
Federation--Dijalin, Belial12
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 08:50:46 AM by Benionin »
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
Re: So, You Think You Can Run a Faction?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 06:37:17 PM »
Sample Budget:

++++Report from Sample Dude++++
++++Subject: Sample Budget++++
++++Recipients: Omnimind, Administrative Council++++
++++Security Level: Top Secret++++

Evening, most esteemed colleagues. These are dire times. As such, we cannot allot any of our resources to exploring or expanding. Instead we must allocate materiel and funding to the defense of Lanstead and recruitment of soldiers to hold the city. Likewise, diplomatic overtures must be made to our former allies the Flame Dawn to attempt to de-escalate the war. Just as we cannot afford to expand at this time, we are not yet ready to launch any offensives. The production of war materiel is, as always, necessary, and I recommend further research to upgrade our combat mechs. I also suggest that security details be established against potential saboteurs. Attached is my proposed budget.

Mr. Samples

Exploration: 0
Diplomacy: 2
Fortification: 4
Offense: 0
Recruitment: 2
Industry: 3
Research: 3
Security: 2

Thought of the day: A good example aids imitation

++++End Transmission++++
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 07:16:52 PM »
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 02:22:25 PM »
Mew28 has expressed interest in playing this game as part of a Flame Dawn group. Would anyone like to join them? I just need 3 people or so to sign up to run it.

In a similar vein, if you'd like to start up a group for this campaign (perhaps for a different faction), post about it in this thread so everyone can see it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 06:19:36 PM by Benionin »
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 04:43:05 PM »
Eh sure, I'd be interested as part of WP.

(Also I consider that difficulty hard because of their location :P)
No matter the problem, the solution is always a flying emberstarter.

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 10:09:10 PM »
Eh sure, I'd be interested as part of WP.

(Also I consider that difficulty hard because of their location :P)

Perhaps I miscommunicated, but if you're going to be in the same game you're all going to be running the same faction.
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 06:57:13 AM »
Sure, that too xD
No matter the problem, the solution is always a flying emberstarter.

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 06:10:33 PM »
Starting up a Warpath Pod with Ryvirath, LargeNuggets, and sonicx110 (going by their Discord names). If you'd like to join in, let me know.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 06:19:02 PM by Benionin »
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 06:22:14 AM »
Interest has been expressed in starting up a DoD pod. Anyone interested?
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline CallMeXan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 03:07:17 AM »
How about Exiles?  I would be interested in that.  If not I could go DoD.  Honestly when I saw this I was like Sleepers FTW  BD   then I saw no sleepers T_T

If I can run Exiles I will be known as Hundun (no relation to Hundun from my card set..... unless allowed :P  ))
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:10:01 AM by CallMeXan »

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 03:29:34 AM »
I would totally be up for tygris- GI and just spam industry. And dragon projects

Offline Zinny98.82nd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 05:36:44 AM »
I would love to be apart of the DoD game.

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 06:02:54 AM »
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline PhoenixSeeker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 07:58:57 AM »
I would be interested in a Cult of Verore pod. I prefer Candit, personally, but would be willing to play as any other Verore faction if there is disagreement.

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 09:12:04 PM »
Exiles sounds fun, would be interested to take part in that.