Author Topic: [CDC] In Name And Deed [Winner Bubba1234]  (Read 8311 times)

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
Re: [CDC] In Name And Deed
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2016, 01:17:06 AM »
Question how does this card work with fight? Does everything just explode?

Offline Grinnin_Gin

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2016, 01:31:01 AM »
I would prefer if people kept discussions of other players cards out of this contest. Entries or edit posts only.

Offline Arcanereaper

• Translator
  • Do or do not, there is no try..
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2016, 01:39:48 PM »
As I think DoD has some difficulty dealing with Flying characters, I thought on a tech card.

Name: General of the Wall
Faction/Purity: Descendants of the Dragon/2 purity
Type: Character - Human
Rarity: Uncommon
Cost: 4
Morale: 8
Attack/Health: 8/12
Rules Text: Vigilance. When General of the Wall dies in while in the Defense Zone, all other deployed Characters you control gain Reach.
Flavor Text: His only presence inspire the hearts of men.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:31:00 PM by Arcanereaper »

Offline Grinnin_Gin

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 03:54:11 PM »
Only one entry per person. Delete the entry you do not want submitted, otherwise both will be disqualified from judging.

Offline Roderick

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2016, 04:07:03 PM »
1pexile,
Aleta, Unchained
5/16
*Pay 4, exhaust (as in lingbao's or daode's exhaust, where she can only do it every other turn)
All characters on the battlefield* gain 2 attack but take 2 damage.
"That was unpleasant"

*Deployed characters was a bit op, and was too similar to hermit.
*This is my favorite version of this, but ori thinks maybe halving it, 1atk/1dmg/2cost but everyturn might be more in line with aleta, Whichever you think is best grinnin.
I I feel as if this aleta should be a bit dif, as she would be the first aleta to change factions ;D
----------------
I don't want to stir the lore up too much, but I feel as if vasir won't be able to keep aleta chained for ever,
from here I'd imagine she'd either end up enslaving some demons, for exile only purity, and maybe later on march onto other factions such as with the coyles.
Since we can only do make one character I'll save my reborn suggestion for later, as Aleta unchained kinda fits a rebellious theme.
----------------
I feel like These mechanics won't be overpowered for aleta, but would bring her up to a point where people would actually bother to use the card. You could use in her multiple situations, defense, minion building, etc. with her 1purity she can slide into quite a few deckstyles and possibly make exiles more common in ranked.
----------------
Edit/postscript; I feel as if this might be a great way to introduce aleta into new factions w/o having yet another alternate dimension for each faction. Plus, with veroria falling apart, and the verore aleta being the most likely to hop factions. (she was a leader of her own faction, what's to stop her from starting again forming an army and going back to take what's hers.) In my eyes, this aleta is deceptive, cunning, and very, very angry. Willing to do anything to paypack the slightest slight against her ego.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 05:23:04 AM by Roderick »

Offline quangtit01

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2016, 07:09:24 PM »
Name: Pit of Malice
Faction/Purity: 3 CoV
Type: Location
Rarity: Rare
Cost: 5

Rules Text: Whenever a card is killed, show 3 random Verore spells to the player,  with the resource cost equal or less than the killed card's resource cost (at least 1 card has to have equal resource to the killed card). The player choose 1 spell and add it to his hand. Maximumly 3 spell can be added to hand per turn by this card's effect.If 10 or more characters are killed simulaneously in 1 turn, the player instead add 1 "Oblivion" to his hand.

Flavor Text: Whoever disobeyed Aleta got thrown into the pit. Harnessing their soul as energy, powerful spells can be created!

Offline Bubba1234

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2016, 10:34:40 PM »
Vasir's Chains

Purity: 2 Exiles

Artifact

Rarity: Epic

Cost: 7

Pay 6, Exhaust: Target deployed Character becomes Chained (It moves to your Assault Zone and becomes a Demon in addition to its other types). Chained Characters cannot be moved from the Assault Zone. If Vasir's Chains is destroyed, all Chained Characters are destroyed.

Though he'd finally managed to break them, Vasir knew the power that remained in the chains Aleta had forged to bind him. He would not let such power go to waste.

Offline Bubba1234

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2016, 10:52:57 PM »
The Final Sleeper

Factionless
Unique Character - Angel Undead
6/6
15 Morale
Legendary
Cost: 7

My father was The Last Sleeper, I am The Final Sleeper. My mother was into necrophilia.

Unstoppable

If The Final Sleeper is in the Graveyard for 6 consecutive turns, it is raised from the Graveyard to the Support Zone. When The Final Sleeper enters the Deployed Area, remove all Characters in play with the sub-type Undead from the game and remove Characters with the sub-type Undead in both player's Graveyard from the game. When The Final Sleeper enters the Deployed Area, it gains power and health become equal to every Undead Character removed from the game.

Edit: Resource Cost increase from 2 to 7.

Unless this is changed to "all other Characters in play," won't it remove itself from the game as soon as it is deployed?

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2016, 10:34:49 AM »
Question how does this card work with fight? Does everything just explode?

Let's try a thought experiment where we count how many targets fight has and then reread the text of the card.

Repeat as many times as necessary.

Offline Pelagoth

• Sock Puppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2016, 06:35:57 AM »
Name Earthquake Titan
Faction/Purity Warpath 1p
Type Character
Rarity Common
Cost 8
Morale 5
Attack/Health 15/20
Rules Text
Charge

When this character enters the deployed area, deal 10 damage to all other characters.

Enrage 5: Earthquake Titan gains +5/+5 and deals 5 damage to all characters on the battlefield.

Flavor Text
ME GO FACE

Offline hhhhhuie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2016, 08:25:19 AM »
Name:                       Orion, reborn
Faction/Purity:          2G
Type:                        Character
Rarity:                       Rare
Cost:                         4
Morale:                      10
Attack/Health:           4/8

Rules Text:                As an additional cost to play this card sacrifice one "Orion's Grave".
                                  Pay 4, sacrifice an artificial character: Target non-artificial character             
                                  gains an additional life.

Flavor Text:               As research on the virus of avarrach went on, researchers were able 
                                             to extract a sample from Aleta, Immortal Sufferer, and modify it to
                                             support life, rather than replace it.
                                             Eager to make their huge success to good use, they decided to use it
                                             to revive their beloved leader, whose sacrifice made it possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lore:
I was sad when Orion died. But iI saw potential in the fact that Genesis now had Aleta, Immortal Sufferer, and looked forward to see some sleeper-style genesis card. This has not happened so far. Soo, with a survivor of the virus, which can bring dead back to "life" (Aletas zombies), Genesis researching on it, and a dead leader, what would be the first thing to do?
Right, revive him! Dont let Genesis be Leaderless!
I also imagined him having that sleeper glowing, but instead of yellow in clear blue (Genesis colors). Would be awesome imo.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Play:
While his impact probably wouldnt be that huge, he still offers quite some new opportunities. He works similar to 'junkyard's shield, but instead with non artificial characters.
Thus now you can also protect your humans!
And if you decide to go and buff the humans instead of your artificial characters (which, as it is now, is suboptimal), you can keep them alive even better than with shields! (stacking lives).
Of course there also have to be downsides, which is that lives dont regenerate each turn, contrary to shield.
To counterweight his difficult way to play him (I really wanted to include his grave in this idea), I made the cost for his ability only 4.

Offline drewmb10

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2016, 02:37:11 AM »
Contest over, correct?

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2016, 03:15:28 AM »
Contest over, correct?

Gin's deadline would suggest as much. He should announce it, however.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Grinnin_Gin

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2016, 04:56:52 AM »
Let me preface this by saying that I did not choose the best from these entries, I chose the least horrible.

Many of these cards are flat out impossible to print into the current environment of infinity wars, purely from a technical standpoint. Others were pretty badly written, more had completely out of wack stats and abilities, even if they were legendary and even if Force Against the Law has a lot of stats.

There were a few notable entries, Lai Han, Xi Descended, even Merlin's 'super broken' card was better thought out than the vast majority of entries this time around (even if ultimately I feel like the card is way too over-tuned and introduces a ton of problems).

So, ultimately, to paraphrase The West Wing:

In a triumph of the middling, a nod to mediocrity, and with gorge rising, it gives me great nausea to announce Bubba1234 - yes, Bubba1234 - as the winner of this week's Card Design Contest.

His entry was as dull as it is unremarkable. As lackluster as it is soporific, this reversion to the mean, this rebuke to the exemplary, gives hope to the millions unfavored by the exceptional.

The Card Design Contest, being famously once described as not being worth a warm bucket of spit; let's now hock a big loogie for Bubba1234. Not the worst. Not the best. Just what we're stuck with.

Amen.

All kidding aside, his card ticked off the most boxes without rocking the boat too much on others. While I would have preferred to see lower initial cost and being restricted to the battlefield, this card does have some interesting uses, and is a rather powerful late game card/potential win condition for 'mill' decks, in terms of turning your opponent's own resources against them.

Appropriately flavorful as well, Vasir turning his own chains into weapons to further his goals. It's a bit swingy but at the same time it does give Exiles an interesting and useful artifact that DOESNT rely on stuff like Exile costs, or discards.

Still though, not all I was hoping for. I was hoping for something more inspiring, something more well tuned in terms of ability, cost, effects, etc. But...could be worse.

2nd is Lai Han, 3rd is Xi Descended

Xi Descended is cool but ultimately untuned and it doesnt have many decent abilities, plus the purities are awkward when DoD/Ex wants to do mill things.

Lai Han is just all around better tuned, although crowding the 7 spot and getting rid of the chance to play Dojo is pretty meh.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 05:05:16 AM by Grinnin_Gin »

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
Re: [CDC] In Name And Deed [Winner Bubba1234]
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2016, 05:22:13 AM »
I've been talking with Grinnin_Gin about the contest on Discord and he doesn't particularly feel like giving feedback on the rest of the entries. His exact words were "most of them are just pretty self-evidently bad. The rest have technical flaws and issues." He added that if people came to him with questions about their cards he would provide feedback.

As such, believing in Rule #5 of this contest--that all entries are guaranteed feedback--I have volunteered myself to provide comments on the rest of the submissions. Where I can find quotes from Gin I'll include them. In fact, I'll start with those that Gin has provided comments for elsewhere:

MerliniX
"Merlin's entry has way too many interaction issues and severely limits design space"

KingMickey
"this random and his terrible kali
30 atk
30 morale cost
'ok'"

Benionin
"Ethan is right out unfortunately
5 separate effects
Were you just trying to outdo Alpha One?"

Those are all of the comments from Gin that I have. I'll cover the rest of the entries tomorrow--right now I've got too much to do to devote as much time as I like to for this sort of thing.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream