Author Topic: [CDC] In Name And Deed [Winner Bubba1234]  (Read 8308 times)

Offline drewmb10

• View Profile
Re: [CDC] In Name And Deed
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 02:20:50 AM »
Contained Parallel Convergence

2GI
Artifact
Epic
Cost: 5

When Contained Parallel Convergence enters play draw a card.

While Contained Parallel Convergence is in play, whenever an ability successfully targets a single target, copy that ability and apply it's effects to all cards that share a zone with the original target.

Our first attempts at recreating the Rift Phenomena have been successful, although our artificial Rifts appear to function fundamentally different than the natural ones we have observed. More analysis is needed. -Genesis Researcher

Undead corruption + Zom b gone.

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 03:27:20 AM »
Contained Parallel Convergence

2GI
Artifact
Epic
Cost: 5

When Contained Parallel Convergence enters play draw a card.

While Contained Parallel Convergence is in play, whenever an ability successfully targets a single target, copy that ability and apply it's effects to all cards that share a zone with the original target.

Our first attempts at recreating the Rift Phenomena have been successful, although our artificial Rifts appear to function fundamentally different than the natural ones we have observed. More analysis is needed. -Genesis Researcher

Undead corruption + Zom b gone.
Stealing whole zones lolol

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 04:35:26 AM »
The Final Sleeper

Factionless
Unique Character - Angel Undead
6/6
15 Morale
Legendary
Cost: 7

My father was The Last Sleeper, I am The Final Sleeper. My mother was into necrophilia.

Unstoppable

If The Final Sleeper is in the Graveyard for 6 consecutive turns, it is raised from the Graveyard to the Support Zone. When The Final Sleeper enters the Deployed Area, remove all other Characters in play with the sub-type Undead from the game and remove Characters with the sub-type Undead in both player's Graveyard from the game. When The Final Sleeper enters the Deployed Area, it gains power and health equal to every Undead Character removed from the game.

Edit: Resource Cost increase from 2 to 7.
Edit2: Remove all "other" Characters
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 06:28:32 PM by ORISOLVE »
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Offline xMatanX122

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 10:39:23 AM »
Xi, Descended
1p DOD 1p Exiles
Morale: 10
Resource: 4
Unique Character - Demon
6/8
Flying
Whenever you play the exile cost of a card Xi creates a 2/2 flying demon in your support zone then each demon created by Xi's effect gets +1/+1.
"In her return from Overseer's, Xi was captured by the Exiles and taken to the Demon Wastes where she was enslaved to create demons from the lost spirits"
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:33:03 PM by xMatanX122 »

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 12:16:23 PM »
Pierre, the Light of Day
2p FD
6 cost
10 morale
Unique Character- Human

Whenever a character you control with 2 or more FD purity attacks, it gains +2/+2.

At the end of the turn, if a character you control dealt combat damage to an opponent's fortress this turn, Recruit a card that opponent controls with cost 4 or less. That card's purity changes to 2p FD.

If you control 6 or more characters with 2 or more FD purity, you have an additional maximum resource.

5/10
"Expansion without development is doomed to fail. A dawn can look as pretty as it wants, it means nothing without the day. I'm here to make sure the light carries through for as long as it can."

Pierre seems to be horribly OP, mainly because right now he would work from command. Just imagine a turn 1 Klore, getting double the buff and recruiting a character in addition. With a little luck even a 4 cost one.

The Final Sleeper

Factionless
Character - Angel Undead
6/6
15 Morale
Legendary
Cost: 2

My father was The Last Sleeper, I am The Final Sleeper. My mother was into necrophilia.

Unstoppable

If The Final Sleeper is in the Graveyard for 6 consecutive turns, it is raised from the Graveyard to the Support Zone. When The Final Sleeper enters the Deployed Area, remove all Characters in play with the sub-type Undead from the game and remove Characters with the sub-type Undead in both player's Graveyard from the game. When The Final Sleeper enters the Deployed Area, it gains power and health become equal to every Undead Character removed from the game.

Since this card is factionless I guess its main purpose is to make SoA pretty much unplayable?

Offline KingMickey

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 01:55:06 PM »
Kali, The Blade of Dawn
2 Flame Dawn + 1 Overseers of Solace Purity / 3 Flame Dawn Purity
Unique Character Angel
Legendary
Deploy Cost 9
Morale Cost 30
Attack Power 30
Health 23

Charge, Flame Strike 5

Characters killed by Kali are removed from the game.

When Kali, The Blade of Dawn is on the Battlefield, Characters you control have +4/+0.

Pay 7: Kali, The Blade of Dawn gains +7/+7 and Flying. Buffs attained from this ability can't be lost.

Pay 10: When Kali destroys a Character, other Characters the opponent controls in the same Zone and in the Support Zone become Immolated, taking 5 damage at the end of each turn. Also, Kali becomes Indestructible while in the Offense Zone.

Flavor Text: "Finally taking Brommich's words about what it means to be a soldier to heart and fully honing the power bestowed to her by the Overseers, Kali quickly rose to prominence (and ranks) within the Flame Dawn. Deeply revered and adored from the last footman up to Aberion himself, she makes for an excellent leader and a mortal enemy."

"We're all soldiers now"- Kali

Doing a good (imho) mix from the old with the new lore; something in the old campaign I really loved. Notice how I don't say anything about Brommich's fate since we don't know if he'll die again. Plus, we haven't heard about her for a while <33 c:. And yeah, I borrowed the line she says from someplace else, but it's fitting, no? ^ ^

About the card; not entirely new, not entirely old either. It is fairly strong (deservingly, given its context) but I gave it some pretty good trade-offs (high costs, requires specific decks/strategies, CAN be dealt with etc) for counter-balance.

I had another idea in mind also (if anyone has seen my older posts will know what it's about) but thought to keep it as a 'trump card' (not a wall) c: :3

Offline drewmb10

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 02:04:10 PM »
...it is fairly strong...

*Deploy Cost 19

Looks like you left off the 1. Should be good to go now!

Offline KingMickey

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 04:26:59 PM »
...it is fairly strong...

*Deploy Cost 19

Looks like you left off the 1. Should be good to go now!

Force Against The Law has similar cost and stats and is not even a Legendary :^)

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 05:12:21 PM »
Force Against The Law has similar cost and stats and is not even a Legendary :^)

Force Against the Law is also in Warpath, which is supposed to have beefier characters, and doesn't have nearly as many abilities. Compare with Baldo, a Flame Dawn card that does a fraction of what yours does, doesn't have as high stats, and has a high cost that renders him unplayable. Perhaps most importantly, rarity is not a tool for balancing (or at least shouldn't be). Rarity, rather than being a gauge of power, should be an indicator of complexity. Hence why Tygris, who isn't particularly strong, is legendary, while Splitter Bot is an uncommon. Or Die Another Day, which has a unique effect and is legendary, while Fear is Uncommon.

EDIT: Normally I don't like to comment on other people's submissions (especially when I've had plenty of duds of my own and haven't even finished my entry) but I felt like explaining some of the fallacies behind your defense. Nothing personal, just explaining some philosophy of card design. I would suggest that we stop cluttering the CDC thread with balance comments.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 05:59:45 PM by Benionin »
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 06:25:21 PM »
I'll explain my card, The Final Sleeper.

The card does not make Sleepers useless. If your opponent is playing a Sleepers deck and you run this card, it'll simply give you an advantage against them. They could still destroy the card numerous ways such as Eaten By Zombies and Undeath Wish. This card simply removes the ability to Mass Summon Undead from the Graveyard with Hehkeem, etc. Keep it mind it only removes Undead Characters, so Conscripted Militia decks are still viable. The Undeads in your hand and deck are still safe.

If you are running a Sleepers deck and you have no way of finishing off your opponent this card could be viable to you as well. So if you are worried about losing to a single Lingbao's Will and Yuanshi's Wrath, playing this card would benefit you if you are unable to finish off your opponent. You just have to pray your opponent doesn't have hard removal and you could literally win the game in 2 turns with this card. This card is only strong if you are able to remove other Undeads.

I also wanted to be lore consistent, because Sleepers should no longer exist since the Overseers wiped them out. It also adds a new dynamic to the story since this card is an Angel Undead. Perhaps the Angels are experimenting with revival mechanics. This card goes along with Nato's suggestion as well as my idea of "relocating" Sleeper cards.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:27:09 PM by ORISOLVE »
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2016, 07:15:22 PM »

The card does not make Sleepers useless. If your opponent is playing a Sleepers deck and you run this card, it'll simply give you an advantage against them. They could still destroy the card numerous ways such as Eaten By Zombies and Undeath Wish. This card simply removes the ability to Mass Summon Undead from the Graveyard with Hehkeem, etc. Keep it mind it only removes Undead Characters, so Conscripted Militia decks are still viable. The Undeads in your hand and deck are still safe.

If you are running a Sleepers deck and you have no way of finishing off your opponent this card could be viable to you as well. So if you are worried about losing to a single Lingbao's Will and Yuanshi's Wrath, playing this card would benefit you if you are unable to finish off your opponent. You just have to pray your opponent doesn't have hard removal and you could literally win the game in 2 turns with this card. This card is only strong if you are able to remove other Undeads.

I also wanted to be lore consistent, because Sleepers should no longer exist since the Overseers wiped them out. It also adds a new dynamic to the story since this card is an Angel Undead. Perhaps the Angels are experimenting with revival mechanics. This card goes along with Nato's suggestion as well as my idea of "relocating" Sleeper cards.

Well, it still removes all of their characters in play and graveyard for mere 2 resources (given you are playing 3p SoA). Sure, you can use it in a sleeper deck aswell, but funny enough your Final Sleeper can be countered by the opponents final sleeper. Against standard 3p sleepers decks utilizing the sleeper undead characters (and not only its tools like conscripted militia) it is basicly a much stronger, one sided calamity (given that you dont play against other sleeper decks, but even then it is still giving them a strong character).

The problem is that is super cheap for a factionless card, and it will not only 'simply' give you an advantage over undead centered decks, it will be op against them. Sure, dealing with the resulting character isnt that difficult (although, if it is used early enough, the soa player might not even be able to remove it til turn 5. and it can get fairly big on command and a few undead alone already), but that isnt the problem. It gives you the character (with the possiblity of it returning), the (most likely) one sided calamity and graveyard removal against a 2-3p SoA undead deck. For mere 2 resources. Who would want to pick an undead centered deck still with that card around?

I may be overlooking something, but I cant see how the mere possibility that the opponent could play one of those or sideboard them doesnt ruin decks using mainly undead characters.

Lorewise I have no problems with this at all.

Offline Number11

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 07:52:33 PM »

Risen of Avarrach, Sleeper, Last Sleeper, the infect mechanic and so on. The faction is about building up power over time, it is no FD, a card like The Final Sleeper would be far more harmful to the faction than any of the draft nerfs would do to them in draft.

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2016, 09:02:02 PM »
Ethan, Immortal Runebinder
Factionless
Unique Character--Human
Either Epic or Legendary
5 cost, 6 morale
6/16
CARDNAME cannot be removed from the game.
If CARDNAME is in the graveyard for 6 consecutive turns, he is raised to the support zone at the end of the turn.
If CARDNAME is in the command zone, you may have 1 copy of any Aleta character card in your deck regardless of purity.
Pay 3, Exhaust: Lock target character on the battlefield to the support zone until CARDNAME leaves play.
Pay 3, Exhaust: Remove all locations from the game.
Pay X, Exhaust: activate the ability of an Aleta card deployed or in the command zone under your control.
For a thousand years Ethan regretted bringing about the Calamity.
Now he seeks to undo his work, restoring the multiverse--and Aleta--to a single whole.

I spend a lot of time thinking about the man pictured in the art for the Calamity. Who he was, what he's doing. I've written down a few stories about my ideas (there's a link to one of them above), but mostly I envision a male version of Aleta who, as I characterize him, really enjoys working with runes, the more complex the better. For abilities I gave him an Altar of Binding on a stick except better, a way to remove locations because of what I think he's up to now (spoiler: in my story Ethan has begun to overlay the various planes together to collapse the multiverse to its original state). The last part, namely the trinket text making him something of an Enyah or Swarmer Broodlord for Aletas and then giving him the ability to use their abilities was inspired by one of my original versions, a very Alpha One-esque "Pay X, activate an Aleta Ability" card (I also rejected an ability that would have made him a Calamity on a stick). I considered letting him activate the Aleta abilities in your deck, but restricted to command/deployed because it would be easier for the players to keep track of. He's notably immune to the Calamity. While his lockdown ability is probably one of his strongest components and would be hugely frustrating to decks like Avatars, killing him will reset it and Humble has long been a staple in DoD decks anyway. Just remember to Humble him before he locks down your win-con.

How does Ethan forward the Lore of the game? Firstly, his constant rift-running has put him at odds with the Overseers, meaning they'll want to stop him and he'll want to oppose them. Secondly, as he continues to open rifts and collapse worlds together he will introduce new characters and worlds to the story--in fact, I suspect that the original opening of the rifts is his doing, as a way to gradually overlay the worlds without completely destroying them like he did with his first attempt (more on that in a future story).

Playability: without making him super OP, I think Ethan is a playable card. Sacrificing a purity to give yourself an extra ability in command (imagine a Ethan/Tinkerer/Infected Drone command zone) is a fair trade-off. Dedicated Aleta decks might spring up in constructed but probably not in Ranked, which I think is more or less fine. Where I think he'll shine is in a controlling deck that can take advantage of his lock-down ability to remove enemy threats. While he won't stop siphoner combo, he'll force opponents to diversify their resources instead of loading everything down on a single card--much like Zuza, but able to lock down an entire field if the opponent just mindlessly throws things into assault. OR he could see play in aggressive decks to lock down blockers (the 2 GI command zone I listed above would likely love this). He kills location based strats like Shrine and Lone Keep (which aren't too big anyway). While I doubt Ethan will warp the meta, I imagine that he would see play and would change things up slightly.

When designing this card I was mostly concerned with the lore (big surprise there) but I've tried to balance it decently. I look forward to Gin's comments.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Number11

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 09:13:08 PM »
Hide in the grave
1 purity SoA - Uncommon
3 cost
Ability
Preemptive

All undead you control are moved to the graveyard with current stats and returned to previous zone at the end of turn.

- When they eliminated what they considered to be the last sleeper they where unaware of the sleepers hiding.

Purpose: The faction is based on value over time however, it won't last past calamity or oblivion. This card allows the player to get past it with skilled timing in its use.

Playability: Like mentioned it allows escaping calamity. You can also combo it with cards like Acid Rain giving the player a new way to play with Acid Rain. And of course combos with other abilities that can hurt your own cards.

Balance: The lower the Sleeper purity your deck has the more likely you will have less undead in deck to work with the card. One of the strongest combos with the card is to play it to save your undead army before playing mass death. However the player that plays 2 Verore, 1 Sleeper will have less options in regards to undead to work with the card vs a 2 or 3 purity Sleeper and you should be aware of the possible combo when playing against 2 Verore, 1 Sleeper.

Flavor: Now this is one way to explain the return of the Sleepers.

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 11:14:30 PM »
There has been some criticism of my entry's balance which I am going to attempt to address here.

First - I have clarified a bit of ambiguous text on the entry to make the effect more clear. The card is intended to only impact cards that are in play - not cards in the hand, deck, or graveyard. Hopefully my word change has made that more clear and fixed the ambiguity of the original text.

Now, on to the balance.

As people have pointed out the card does empower a lot of crazy shenanigans. Things like Undead Corruption + Zom-B-Gone to clear a zone, or CTA, Stumble, Exhaust, or one of many other single purity abilities. Some people may have overlooked the fact that these cards are enabled for both players, rather than just the one controlling the Artifact. But all that aside, let's look at this card in the overall larger context of two and three card combos in Infinity Wars.

First I would like to compare this card to Mass Death + Ling Bao's Will. This is a two card combo that costs a total of 8 resources. This is comparable in many ways to trying to play Contained Parallel Convergence the same turn you attempt to take advantage of it's ability. With the Mass Death/Will combo, you frequently will just instantly win the game - provided you can make the correct prediction and your opponent fails to play around or respect those cards. Contained Parallel Rift, at it's strongest potential, mirrors that ability, but in no way exceeds it, and in many respects falls short.

If you try and use this card to combo out on your own characters (say via Upgrade + Swift Strikes) you have set yourself up for a nasty Death Ray predict from the opponent (or Stumble, or CTA, or etc) where they kill or remove all of your freshly buffed characters. Basically every deck in the game runs Abilities in one form or another, and while the player who plays Contained Parallel Convergence can obviously craft their deck around it a little more than the opponent, there is no deck in the game that is defenseless against this card.

Upgrade, in particular has been pointed out as a very strong combo piece with this card, and one that you naturally would want to run in a GI deck anyway. And, yes, it is in fact a strong combo. However this is the same faction that has another two card combo, CTA and Lucca, which already has a stronger impact, and applies to all of your characters simultaneously, rather than simply all of them in your assault zone. It also costs one less resource to pull off.

Removal based Abilities and Abilities that target enemy characters are obviously much more impactful with this card in play. It is important to keep in mind, however, that often when playing this card the other player will get the 'first' activation off of the artifact, as it does cost five resources, and unless you are playing it very late game it will often be unfeasible to combo it the same turn you play it. Even late game if you play it into a Death Ray you will still lose all and any troops that you intended to combo out with. This is important to note because unlike many of the combos that currently exist in IW (say magic siphoner on off priority) there is actually a very reasonable chance that the enemy player can predict and respond to any combos involving this card.

Further, this card emphasizes the zone based play structure of Infinity Wars, and rewards successful predictions. Even with this card in play and Death Rays in the hand of both players you need to successfully predict not only where the primary ability target will be, but the placement of any other characters that the player has in order to get maximum impact out of each card. In other words this card promotes strategic and deep play in IW in a way that few cards do now. Both players additionally have 'outplay' possibilities where they can separate high priority targets into zones by themselves, isolating Abilities to reduce the impact from the opponent's play.

In other words, this card opens up new avenues and lines of play for both players. It changes the dynamic of the mind game that is ever present behind the scenes in IW, but does not circumvent or lessen this mind game, and in several ways makes it deeper. It obviously fits the challenge criteria in being a card that will have an impact on the meta, and, in my opinion at least, the card would be a helluva lot of fun to play and to play against.