Author Topic: Underp the Deck: Melosia  (Read 2530 times)

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
Underp the Deck: Melosia
« on: June 17, 2015, 07:03:23 PM »
I like derp decks. And by that I mean I like using gimmicky cards that most other people will probably put into an incinerator with a 10 ft poker. Because I like riding the short bus - I've decided I'm going to pimp it rather than cave and start trading 90 cards away for a Klore or Martyr Golem, etc. So each week I'm going to post an idea and ask people to help me out in optimizing it. I'm also going to post a toolbox containing my epics and legs to avoid the usual and annoying, oh you should add this awesome card you don't have comment. That said, here is my derpdeck this week -> Melosia

CZ:
Melosia, Champion of Despair
Striker of Solace
Glorious Warrior

Characters
x3 Wealthy Noble
x2 Radariah, The Untouchable
x1 Shiazarus, The Cruel
x1 Shikana, Who demands tribute
x2 Boyo, who everybody likes
x3 Intimidating Monk
x2 Chef
x2 Inspiring soldier
x1 Undisturbed Monk
x3 Grounded Angel
x2 Glorious Warrior
x2 Steadfast Protector
x2 Cassial the Selfless
x2 Soldier of Purity
x2 Zealous Protector

Abilities
x3 Infiltrate
x1 Assassinate
x3 Lingbao's Will
x2 Yuanshi's Wrath
x3 Banish

Toolbox: (Excludes commons/uncommons which are easily traded as well as oppression atm)

http://infinite-network.com/collection/view/34010

Current problems

• Cannot handle rush AT ALL
  • Has no way to break a stall aside from the boyo bomb which requires a lot of luck to make work
    • Huge problems in getting fliers through to hit the fortress after melosia is deployed

General Adjustment Thoughts
    First Update: Played around with the deck a bit and found that making infiltrate work is key to the whole thing. There are so many things in this deck that work well if infiltrated - Boyo, Shizarus, wealthy nobles and even shikana are fantastic infiltration targets as all result in solid morale damage, moreso if I need to drop a Yuanshi to deal with mass weenie targets. Shizarus is nice as it puts a lot of things into Yuanshi range if I can get it to get friendly with the opposing creatures. Radariah also added a nice touch making it much easier for me to simultaneously be offense and offensive allowing her to deal morale damage when able while allowing me to maximize the defense zone allowing glorious warrior to optimize attrition morale. I only wish I could bring adorable monkeys.

If peeps could help me out in making this thematic fun and viable in the pubs I'd really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:09:49 PM by ecliptix »
No matter the problem, the solution is always a flying emberstarter.

Offline Dreamplume

• Dream of a Dreamplume
    • View Profile
Re: Underp the Deck: Melosia
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 10:11:47 PM »
Taking a look at what you built and saw that I had to have a go at making a Melosia Deck however from the deck you have posted it is reliant on Infiltrate to be able to do the morale damage. All honestly helping your opponent have cards to play to me can work in there favour also from the deck I built which is still in testing does not need to rely on that one card.

The command zone is perfect I use the same set up for turn 1 play so forth but you should look into cards such as:

Cassial
Retaliation
Spirit of the ancient guardians
Echo of the battlefield
mysterious box of wonder
Harbinger of law
Balance
Gao Han
Adaptive Drone

In addition run another melosia because her being dead with a deck only running one copy of her can dampen what you are trying to do so it doesn't hurt to have another. One of the other problems using Melosia for morale burn is your cant turn your troops into flying as you can only have one champion at a time. Melosia needs a deck that can buff out damage or stay alive long enough to outlast your opponent by slowly killing them off will have to see how she works out.

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 11:21:44 PM »
Well the infiltrate targets might not be exactly who you think -

Wealthy noble - Usually situational and after its needed. If I can't surprise kill with Yuanshi it I don't give it away
Shiazarus - Obvious reasons
Shikana (Only infiltrate the turn I plan on Sac-ing her to force the morale damage onto the opponent)
Boyo Bomb

I also imagine I use melosia a bit differently than you do. I don't really play this as an aggro morale specifically because I can't get mass fliers. She's really just there to add to the attrition damage through Radariah and set up for a final blast via Lingbao/Infiltration bombs. I tried running this as an offensive deck and it had way too many issues dealing with health damage rush decks. Melosia doesn't even come out until T5, at best and by then I have to deal with the field already in place. Melosia herself is responsible for only 15-30 morale damage a game which can add up quickly once you incorporate the other factors (Creature kills, infiltration bombs, etc.)

As for the other suggestions,

Cassial - Only have 2

Mysterious Box of Wonder - I think I could squeeze one in by substituting it with Jihani's wall.

Harbinger of law (Only have 1)

Spirit of the Ancient Guardians - I've been on the fence with this one. On one hand its good for getting easy morale damage in via kill, but on the other hand another 4 cost starts slowing the deck. I'm going to try taking out an intimidating monk and grounded angel and see how that goes.

Echo of the Battlefield - While I like this card and think it would fit in well the problem comes down to what I would have to take out to incorporate it and I don't really see anything that would be beneficial to the strategy. I know the easy thought is get rid of the infiltration mechanic, but in addition to the Creature kill and radariah attrition getting those nobles in for 10 or 14 damage a pop becomes notably important. Besides if I'm going for angel rush damage it would just make more sense to build an angel rush deck.

Balance - I can understand why, but the health/power differential among the creatures really isn't high enough to warrant it. Plus with all the angel hate out there right now, getting a strong flier though is easier said than done.

Gao Han - I wish. Wanna trade? xD

Adaptive Drone - Swapped it in for the chef's - they're too slow to really make a substantial difference.

I'd also like to run another melosia, but the one in the CZ is the only one I own so I'm running with it atm.

Offline Dreamplume

• Dream of a Dreamplume
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 08:04:53 AM »
I see what your saying as to some of the things I have put it is going to be a bit of a problem cause you might not have many copies of a certain card.

Adaptive drone good for some HP back to fortress.

Echo of the battlefield is good because you wont need to play it just having something die in defence puts all copies of it in your had straight to the defence zone. You would not need to actually play defensive thus could surprise your opponent when you defend with one card only putting another blockade right back in front of them.

Mysterious box is a must such a useful ability.   

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 11:12:47 PM »
I'll be honest - I REALLY want to put in echo of the battlefield, the problem right now is what to remove. The obvious answer was initially shiazarus, but he just puts so many things into Yuanshi range its hard to dismiss the utility

Offline CommunistMountain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 12:51:11 AM »
My attempt on a Meliosa deck:

Commanders:
Striker of Solace
Xi, Ascended (Descendant Purity)
Meliosa

Characters:
3 Luccas, Ascended
3 Inspiring Soldiers
3 Glorious Warriors
2 Spirits of the Ancient Guardians
3 Cornicens
3 Grounded Angels
3 Harbingers of Law
2 Meliosas

Abilities:
3 Lingbao's Will
3 Yuanshi's Wrath
3 Banishes
3 Guns of Goliath
3 Heaven's Assistance

Artifacts:
3 Mysterious Boxes of Wonder

My latest match as of this post got the opponent saying "puffy you" after the game, so I think it's good.

Offline quangtit01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 08:34:26 AM »
I would suggest Tyra: Burden of war in addition to the deck, not sure if her ability work with meliosa though

Offline CommunistMountain

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 10:19:27 AM »
I would suggest Tyra: Burden of war in addition to the deck, not sure if her ability work with meliosa though
Her ability does synergise with Meliosa's (and in extension Lingbao's), and I used her from Command before she was replaced with Striker of Solace (and removed from the deck entirely subsequently), as I found her to be a literal burden to my Resources. I find her ability less cost efficient than focusing on playing cheap Angels and buffing them.

I am currently considering having 2 Cassials in deck to counter mass damage effects, as she would be useful when a Morale win is unnecessary (this deck is also able to win the mainstream way) and/or if the survival of my characters are necessary (e.g. if the opponent is also focusing on winning by Morale), especially if that outweighs the loss of a deployed Meliosa returning to my hand.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:21:02 AM by CommunistMountain »

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 05:50:30 PM »
Huh, I think I'll give that build a go. My problem was always getting the damage through post turn 5 when it mattered. But I was also going for unstoppable morale damage. I think I'll play around with that build and see how it flows.

Offline Heaven-Canceler

• Travelling worlds out of fascination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 06:04:01 PM »
Are you planning to put another Derpdeck up sometime soon ecliptix? You said you wanted to put one up a week.

Other accounts of mine can be found on Spacebattles and Sufficient Velocity.

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 06:36:34 PM »
Oh yeah, I just didn't realize people actually read them xD

I'll put the other one up in a sec.