Author Topic: QotD: What Got You into Infinity Wars?  (Read 3073 times)

Offline Winsanity

• The Winsanity is overwhleming
    • View Profile
QotD: What Got You into Infinity Wars?
« on: March 22, 2015, 05:18:44 PM »
So I've decided I'm going to start doing a fun little thing here on the forums called Question of the Day. Most will probably be light hearted, but I may do a serious one if events call for it. Today's question is simple. What got you into this game we all love so much?

What actually got me into the game was just checking for tcg's on Steam, but once I started playing what kept me addicted was seeing all these awesome strategies people were using. I remember one of the first decks I played against was a Orion/MU02 deck and I just thought it was so damn cool. The helpful community just kept me coming back for more, and now here we are 8 months later :D

If anyone has suggestions for questions of the day please shoot me a pm. Cause god knows I'm gonna end up running out of these things.

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: QotD: What Got You into Infinity Wars?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 05:40:33 PM »
Exactly the same as you!

I was looking for tcgs on steam and found it. The amazing reviews helped.

I really liked the prediction aspect to this game and the amount of free cards you get.

Offline IguanaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 06:49:06 PM »
My interest in TCGs started with Hearthstone, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread for a long time.  At some point I learned about Solforge, I think through Brian Kibler coming to Hearthstone.  Played it but it wasn't for me, but it piqued my interest in branching out to other TCGs.

Being a bit of a chump for Sci Fi, IW caught my eye.  I joined up during beta but I couldn't get into the game for some reason.  I loved the art and the mechanics but back then the game wasn't as polished as I had come to expect, which put me off.  It's only recently that I started playing more, after getting bored with HS.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:51:10 PM by IguanaMan »
"Seriously if we don't bug hunt they might end up a new faction!" - Junker99

wham

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 07:15:04 PM »
This question's kind of hard to answer, because there are many nice aspects to this game that make it very fun to play.

I was looking to kill some time, so I downloaded steam and looked for something interesting. Although I had some reservations (mostly: "Why did they think animating all the cards was a good idea?" and "Why is the chat box so bad?") I liked the gameplay.

Rushing w/ karani was also quite fun :)

Offline DrayGon777

• Friendly Neighborhood Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 09:01:44 PM »
For me, I was browsing Greenlight looking for games that seemed interesting. I eventually noticed it on Steam Greenlight and voted 'Yes' for it because it looked interesting. Interesting enough, in fact, that I even visited the Kickstarter page, though I didn't have money at the time, and by the time I did, I kinda forgot about the game and missed the Kickstarter. I also signed up for beta participation, of which I later got an acceptance e-mail. I can't recall exactly what happened after that point because I didn't actually get into the game at that time, and it wasn't until later when I thought about the game again that I looked into it, and found that Rise was on pre-order. Back then, there was a daily cap on IP, which thankfully was removed because I'd basically play till I hit the cap, and then logged off.

Of course, now, I hardly play, but that's a different story. Then again, it just might be my normal burnout and desire to play something new and I do feel I will come back to Infinity Wars eventually. If I didn't, I'd be working to sell my cards. :P
Just so you guys know, if you're ever vs WWK, just start putting out random numbers and mathematical symbols, he will surrender.

Offline Rethorian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 10:51:13 PM »
Was watching a Solforge streamer play the game for a bit. Teremus popped in the stream chat for a bit, and Teremus seemed like a cool enough dude. Honestly I had no idea what was going on in the game and didn't really care that much, but Teremus just seemed cool enough in talking about it that I gave it a go.

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 11:14:38 PM »
My brother convinced me to get Steam so we could play The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot. While browsing steam, I came across this free digital card game so I figured I would try it out. What's funny is that I stopped playing MQEL after about a month, but I'm still playing IW.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Nehkrimah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 11:30:49 PM »
I was following Sinvicta on YouTube mainly watching him do Hearthstone back in the day, and saw him do some videos on Infinity wars, and I got instantly hooked.

Offline ceces

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 11:32:48 PM »
Hinekri o7

Offline Zombieskittles

• Pants-wearing YouTuber
    • View Profile
    • Zombieskittles.com
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 11:33:36 PM »
It was PAX AUS 2013, I was wandering around looking at all the indie games when I see this. I liked card games and semi-actively played MTG. When I spoke to whomever was manning the booth they came across super passionate (Almost as passionate as the guys at Hand of Fate, those guys were hyped up on SOMETHING), explaining everything about IW and getting me to play a bit of the campaign.
I enjoyed it, and they gave me a couple of business cards with beta codes on them. After that though, it was a month or two before i found the time to actually plug those codes in and give the game a whirl. It was thoroughly enjoyable and I've been playing ever since.

Offline kcat4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 11:38:55 PM »
I watched a person on youtube under the alias of tokshen and found gameplay footage of it on his channel. The game's mechanics were neat but what really drew me in was the art design for the FD, DOD, and some of the Exiles. FD in particular drew my attention since they reminded me of the Protectorate of Menoth in Warmachine and the Imperium of Man in Warhammer 40k.

Offline kitsunexans

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 12:04:49 AM »
Found it on steam. Came for robot dragons. Stayed even though the robot dragon sucked.

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 01:26:35 AM »
PAX 2013. It was a pity they didnt show up to PAX 2014, hopefully they go to PAX 2015 :)
Goose got me loose!

Offline Shimrra3

• I am ... darkness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 09:22:31 AM »
PAX 2013. It was a pity they didnt show up to PAX 2014, hopefully they go to PAX 2015 :)
^
Quote from: Teremus
YOU WANT BALANCE? I'LL MAKE EVERY CARD IN THE GAME VIZZERDRIX

"That was the worst driving of all time!"
"Because that wasn't driving! That was flying and burning!"

Viquel

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 09:26:37 AM »
I found IW while browsing indiegogo in Dec 2012 and backed it soon thereafter. Back then, it was the only playable DTCG, and funnily enough, it's still the only one with real trading (solforge sharing is nice, but I'll not call it trading as the transaction is based on honest participants - and despite being careful, I promised cards I didn't have and had to make complicated three-way trades to even my mistake out)

I don't play IW actively, I pop in from time to time and play around with decks I run against puffy in the hope of eventually winning against the fish.

I really, really wish they would get the bugs out, the client proper and the word spread, but then I also wish I could fly - or beat puffy.