Author Topic: Morally Reprehensible Names  (Read 6259 times)

Offline Grinnin_Gin

• View Profile
Morally Reprehensible Names
« on: January 07, 2015, 02:20:37 AM »
Over a long time, and thankfully this is a rare occurence, some people decide to abuse the naming function to create names such as, and I quote:

Sandy Hook
Naziman
VeroreKidslapper

I understand that it is impossible to properly moderate the name creation process. But when names such as these do appear, is there anything that is done to people like this? I'm not talking about names like AssFace123 or something similarly childish, I'm talking about a direct, meaningful reference to horrific things.

Some context about why ''Sandy Hook'' is offensive: Sandy Hook elementary school was a school in the state of Connecticut (In the USA for those of us who are not American) which was attacked by a lone gunman. Over 20 people died, mostly children below the age of 10.

Naziman is, obviously, a reference to Nazi Germany, the government responsible for the casual mass murder of over 12 million people.

VeroreKidslapper is a tasteless corruption of the card name "Verore Kidnapper" which is a card that has been kept tasteful, in a faction that deals with concepts of violence and torture in a realistic, but tasteful banner. Child Abuse is a serious, disgustingly immortal concept and I take a rather dim view of someone who would trivialize it in a name.

If these names do crop up, is there anything that can be done about them? I understand the concept of free speech, but if we had someone enter the game with a name like (and I appoligize in advance for using this term, but it is only meant as an example) ''niggerhater'', I'd imagine they would be banned pretty quickly.

Offline Winsanity

• The Winsanity is overwhleming
    • View Profile
Re: Morally Reprehensible Names
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 02:26:15 AM »
Don't forget about ole Capt. Racist......just kidding. That's an awesome name

Offline xneosrevenge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 02:49:33 AM »
It is very hard to moderate the names during creation and such, I assume, but the best thing to do is Report a Player for their name and then they might get a talkin' to and their name might be changed temporarily if it is very offensive.
"We adore chaos because we love to produce order." -M. C. Escher

Offline Cleanse

• View Profile
    • Message Cleanse on Infinity Wars Wiki
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 02:52:44 AM »
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:25:44 AM by Cleanse »

Offline Weak_Wolf

• In Vino Veritas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 03:05:17 AM »
There is this story a comedian tells about this woman who walks into a bar and on the board she see a joke a waitress wrote on the board that says "We like our violence like we like our beer... domestic." Ha ha funny right? Wrong, the "offended" lady demanded them take it down and when they refused to went over their heads and ended up getting the bar manager and waitress fired.

I am against censorship in all forms, when people start censoring things it is the beginning of the end. I believe people who dont have a sense of humor and dont have the stomach to see a word and not lose their minds have no right to do anything social whatsoever. Because its all subjective, at some point you have to tell them to get over it.

I am not saying ive never been offended, Ive heard as much racism and hatemongering as much as the next guy. But I have thickerskin to go around campaigning against it. Because there will come a day when I will say something someone may disagree with and I want the freedom to say it.

Other than obvious racism and curse words I dont believe anything should be censored. "Sandy Hook" in my opinion is fair game. I prob wouldnt add the guy as a friend or ever trade with him. But that is as far as I go.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:08:30 AM by weak_wolf »

Offline Qfasa

• View Profile
    • русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 03:31:49 AM »
I don't even know... those are just words! If ever VeroreKidslapper will say that he uses this nickname because he indeed likes to slap kids, then burn him with fire, he deserves it. Otherwise... it's just a nickname. If you can not handle a word, how you even live in this world?

What if the name of this person is really Sandy Hook? I'm not an expert but it sounds like an ordinary american female name for me. Should she change her real name too to not offend you?

"Nazi" isn't just a reference to a group of people. It's part of surname in some countries. Should they change their surnames too? Or should they be ashamed that their names contain such offensive word?

I'm sorry but topics like this just blow my mind away. My only hope that there never will be a disaster or a dictator with the name "Qfasa". I like my nickname and do not want to change it.
www.TCGO.ru – русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).

Offline Shimrra3

• I am ... darkness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 03:34:19 AM »
Not entirely sure where to stand on this. I do tend to go out of my way to flag names I find offensive, but simultaneously... lets just say I've got pretty thick skin by now. If its inconspicuous, or at least not extremely obvious, I'm probably not going to bother.

My suggestion here would be that such names get changed based on the number of reports against them - at the digression of the staff. So if there's something that really should get put down, a single report making it apparent should do the trick. Something less obvious and ultimately not particularly offensive, that shouldn't get changed just because one other person dislikes it - but if a dozen or so people are against it and its a legit complaint, then yes.

I say 'legit complaint' because otherwise we'd get a dozen trolls calling for my name to be banned.
Quote from: Teremus
YOU WANT BALANCE? I'LL MAKE EVERY CARD IN THE GAME VIZZERDRIX

"That was the worst driving of all time!"
"Because that wasn't driving! That was flying and burning!"

Offline prozac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 04:13:26 AM »
verorekidslapper is actually pretty funny.

Names arent really morally reprehensible at least in my view, your name could be pedo911hailsatan etc and it's completely whatever, A handle dosn't represent anyone in any way in particular, the only reason these names should ever be looked at is if lightmare feels that having those names in the game hurts their company in some way. Short of that live and let live.
May your names be filled with priest rape and sodomy amen

Offline Zombieskittles

• Pants-wearing YouTuber
    • View Profile
    • Zombieskittles.com
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 05:25:38 AM »
verorekidslapper is actually pretty funny.

Names arent really morally reprehensible at least in my view, your name could be pedo911hailsatan etc and it's completely whatever, A handle dosn't represent anyone in any way in particular, the only reason these names should ever be looked at is if lightmare feels that having those names in the game hurts their company in some way. Short of that live and let live.
May your names be filled with priest rape and sodomy amen

I agree with everything but the last sentence. As long as they aren't called puffyTeremus or something with the express purpose of harassing or hurting others I do not see a problem.

Basically, there should be banned words like "puffy" in names, but beyond that, calling yourself something like Verore Kidslapper doesn't seem "morally reprehensible".

Offline trivialpursuit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 06:35:03 AM »
I have no interest in seeing names with vulgar slang and swear words but outside of that it's difficult to draw a line. Some stuff I've seen is just disgusting and ruins the playing experience for me but they are rare occurrences. Others can be viewed as funny depending on the person.

Offline Memlok

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 07:01:37 AM »
For anyone who says those are just names or words or some freedom of speech puffy.

Ok.

So I can call my self Childraper or Jewslayer or Assfukingjesus....

Some names like Naziman are purely offensive and spread hate, those kind of people shouldn't be let to use them, they should be banned, the community should send a clear message that that is not ok...

But seriously if they are left in the game I am going to make a smurf with one of those 3 nicks out of pure protest, take a pick...

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 07:22:00 AM »
It's interesting how no matter how many times I respond to a topic, it still gets pushed further in an act to try and press it harder against us.

We are already aware of users like this and are enacting internal processes to handle them.

Thank you.
No seriously, I really like cheese.

Quote from: Poga
I make this game, James.

Offline Qfasa

• View Profile
    • русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 07:50:03 AM »
Some names like Naziman are purely offensive and spread hate, those kind of people shouldn't be let to use them, they should be banned, the community should send a clear message that that is not ok...
Did you saw the links Cleanse posted? Want to call those people and say them that their names spread hate and their community should send them a clear message?

This is not about freedom of speech this is about the fact, that some of you only want to see one meaning of a word and you demand to change people's names because you don't like this meaning.

Lets ban Hacker! His nick is offensive to me, hackers are criminals and shouldn't have place in the game (sorry Hacker, I actually have nothing against you, I just need an example).
www.TCGO.ru – русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).

Offline Zombieskittles

• Pants-wearing YouTuber
    • View Profile
    • Zombieskittles.com
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 09:20:43 AM »
For anyone who says those are just names or words or some freedom of speech puffy.

Ok.

So I can call my self Childraper or Jewslayer or Assfukingjesus....

But seriously if they are left in the game I am going to make a smurf with one of those 3 nicks out of pure protest, take a pick...

Some people have the first name Naziman in real life, but I forgive you for not knowing this; it's not a common thing. However, Childraper is a name made with the intent of being disgusting, and that is not on.

Offline Memlok

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 11:21:23 AM »
Did you saw the links Cleanse posted? Want to call those people and say them that their names spread hate and their community should send them a clear message?

This is not about freedom of speech this is about the fact, that some of you only want to see one meaning of a word and you demand to change people's names because you don't like this meaning.

Lets ban Hacker! His nick is offensive to me, hackers are criminals and shouldn't have place in the game (sorry Hacker, I actually have nothing against you, I just need an example).

Ok, what does being a Nazi mean to you man?

And Hackers didn't mark a whole century by the biggest inhuman and horrible deeds...