Author Topic: Triple Warpath and why (I believe) it sucks  (Read 4550 times)

Offline Rethorian

• View Profile
Triple Warpath and why (I believe) it sucks
« on: December 14, 2014, 02:26:32 PM »
Simply put, after the Karani nerf, Triple Warpath is in a bad place. Whether or not Karani needed a nerf, it's obvious that Warpath doesn't function properly in the current meta anymore.

(I'm not going to include Defiant Hermit in this discussion, this is mostly focusing on other Warpath decks)

Most people will agree that Warpath's problem right now is that it isnt fast enough. Which I mostly agree with. The solution however, people haven't really come up anything solid, aside from 'Buff Warpath!'.

Here's where I think Warpath's biggest failing is: Consistancy.

One of Infinity Wars greatest features is the command zone. The command zone adds a level on consistancy to TCG's that simply is found anywhere else. And simply put, Warpath's command zone options are horrible at the moment.

Warpath has two extremes it can push when it comes to the command zone:
1. Heavy Ramp
2. Hasted Powerful Characters/Powerful Activate effects

Both fall victim to the same problems. If you choose a heavy ramp option (double BLBP + Karani), you lose if you fail to draw the proper cards (early noble or untapped + big hasted characters). If you try and run a more powerful command zone (with pack leaders, Rakarl, etc), you lose if you fail to draw adequate ramp to start playing them before your opponent kills you.

On the flipside, we've all seen that when Warpath gets perfect draws, the deck is actually quite powerful.

Karani added a level of consistancy to the Warpath deck that was unparalled. The level of Ramp Karani allowed (8 resources effectively turn 4) made it so it didnt matter what you drew. You could always throw out enough stuff that it didnt matter if your hand wasn't quite as good as it could have been.

Some of you might be skeptical, and saying my emphasis on the command zone is misplaced, and Warpath actually needs X to become viable again. To which I say, look at other powerful decks in the meta.

FD/GI runs Bromich/Kali/Splitter. All of which are used for their extreme power when given command haste. These characters are almost always used on the same turn they can be afforded, simply because they're so good, and because Flame Dawn does not have good turn 3 or 4 drops from the hand in general. Flame Dawn however has extremely power 1-2 drops, and 5-6 drops.

Old Verore ran triple Warped Swarmers. These ALWAYS gave the deck an extreme amount of stall time, which it needed to survive till late game. New Verore is running Rubble Golem and Thunder Apprentice, Rubble Golem adding a level of defense Verore can really use, and Thunder Apprentice forcing the opponent on the defensive on the early game, and giving it access to early game spells it can use to survive early game and have cards it can use early game.

Triple GI runs the Standard Aleta/Drone/Splitter command. This is a great turn 1, turn 2, turn 4 play. Any GI player will tell you about the hell that is turn 3 though. Aleta is also an extremely powerful card that can easily throw off combat math for the opponent, and is useful throughout the entire match.

Warpath has no command setup that gives the level of consistancy or power it needs to compete with these sorts of decks, without extreme luck. Pack Leader is awesome in command, but you need a bunch of beasts out first to get any value from it. Rakarl is awesome in command, but needs a bunch of beasts out to get any value from it. Aleta Caretaker is nice, but early game you have no good buff targets, and the next few turns are normally needed for ramp or playing beasts, leaving no good turns for health buffs till the middle of the game.

Let me put it this way: BLBP is the card every Warpath decks wants to play turn 2 (well, almost always). This gives you 4 resources on turn 3. What exactly does Warpath want to play with 4 resources? Untapped is 3. Karani is 5. Dropbear/Primal Hunter/Pack Leader/Rakarl is 5.

So looking to the future, if we want Warpath to be viable again, we need to be looking at giving it much more useful command creatures, either really potent activate effects, powerful auras or just creatures that don't instantly die the turn you play them from command to a combat zone.

Obviously, there's a LOT more that can be done to help the faction outside the command zone, but I wanted to highlight that any changes really need to be in conjunction with Warpath with giving it a better command setup.

Offline Best Sakuya NA

• View Profile
Re: Triple Warpath and why (I believe) it sucks
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 02:00:23 AM »
To add to this discussion, it is fascinating that Karani was nerfed (as far as I understand it) so that other Warpath cards could be developed, giving them a wider development space and more opportunities for creative cards and command zones, and yet almost every card in Order seems to be encouraging using nothing but Hermit in command. If 3WP is not strong, but now WP2/CoV is competitive viable primarily with Hermit in command, as it was before with Karani in 3WP, and in the future Warpath cards will need to be designed entirely around Hermit, I'm not sure how much forward progress we have actually made.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:22:54 AM by Best Sakuya NA »

Offline Mysterion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 06:59:16 PM »
Karani was a really bad card for the faction in general and should of never been released the way it was. She is still incredibility powerful if any midrange deck was half way viable we would see more of her I am sure. Her and untapped wilderness are bad for the faction as a whole imo, because all future cards are going to have to be balanced around them. Any time you have to balance design decisions around a card it is time to look at that card and think if it is really good for the faction. Untapped is not that bad, but is still very powerful and should be changed a bit imo, but that is another thread.

I think another issue with Warpath is the design overall and the fact that no devs really like or play the faction so not as much care goes into it as other factions (or at least it seems this way).

The fact that the devs do not like to change cards after they are released hurts even more for warpath as the faction could use a few card changes to bring some more flavor. We got some great ability cards this expansion and mostly lack luster creatures.

Offline w4golf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 08:58:56 PM »
I agree on the command zone area most of all.  There aren't GREAT options there, nor for early ramp.  That said, I think their late-game options got richer with the order set.  The really pump came in their ability to go from putting out a good amount of damaging, to putting out pretty fantastic amounts of damage on the board.   

With their other issues (a lot of issues with newly re-tooled Verore for example), I think they still could use a few more (better) options right were the OP indicated.

Offline Rethorian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 09:51:15 AM »
To add to this discussion, it is fascinating that Karani was nerfed (as far as I understand it) so that other Warpath cards could be developed, giving them a wider development space and more opportunities for creative cards and command zones, and yet almost every card in Order seems to be encouraging using nothing but Hermit in command.
While I tend to agree that most of the cards in the set synergise better with Hermit than Triple Warpath, the point of my post is to highly WHY Triple Warpath doesn't really work anymore, in hope that the design of future sets takes into account exactly what Triple Warpath needs: A better command setup, and more speed/ramp capability (unless they want to scrap Warpath as a ramp faction, which would also work because Warpath has so little ramp synergy ATM, unless you count stupidly overcosted giants as 'synergy').

Karani was a really bad card for the faction in general and should of never been released the way it was. She is still incredibility powerful if any midrange deck was half way viable we would see more of her I am sure. Her and untapped wilderness are bad for the faction as a whole imo, because all future cards are going to have to be balanced around them. Any time you have to balance design decisions around a card it is time to look at that card and think if it is really good for the faction. Untapped is not that bad, but is still very powerful and should be changed a bit imo, but that is another thread.

I brought up Karani not because I want her unnerfed, it was simply to highlight how and why she as a commander added the consistancy to Warpath it currently lacks.

The current Karani is extremely hard to play because she is in no way an answer to high tempo decks, and just dies to far too much (Banish anyone?). I mean, look at Warpath's options to get her out:

Turn 1: Warpath has no real play here (random noble draws do not count, all decks are greatly improved when they draw noble). If you're lucky, you can use a Hulking Sniper on a commander, or possibly use Aleta Caretaker to health buff a commander.

Turn 2: You use, Fight, or you use BLBP. Rabid Rabbit is much less effective now, Swift Hunter adds nothing unless you have a Pack Leader somewhere.

Turn 3: Warpath has no good 3 drops for command. 3 drops from hand are also equally underwhelming. Untapped is I guess the best play if you didnt BLBP for some reason, but that's a random draw. If you used BLBP, you have 4 resources, and nothing to use them on still, since there are no 4 drops to help gain tempo, or even 4 decent drops. Your best bet is probably to continue playing more BLBP from command or your hand.

Turn 4: If you used BLBP or Untapped, congratulations! You can now play Karani. But if you play Karani, your opponent is probably going to kill you. This is realistically, the first turn a beast that is larger than 4/5 can hit the battlefield. GI can have 3 10/10 robots hitting your face this turn. Flame Dawn will be hitting you for close to 40, nevermind everything they hit you with beforehand. This turn, you NEED to be dropping something like Primal Hunter or Dropbear or a Rakarl/Pack Leader from command + an earlier beast, or something with Primal Rage on it to simply not die.

Turn 5: You're still alive? Well, if you played Karani, you can now play a less effective Primal Hunter, a less effective Drop Bear, or a Skraar to save your butt. But you'll still die to flying or direct damage or your opponent simply ramming through whatever you dropped. If you didnt drop Karani, and you managed to slow your opponent assault with a good blocking turn... you still cant afford to drop Karani. You need beasts on the field you can use this turn.

So when do you use Karani? Against a really slow deck where you can afford to, or a deck that cannot remove her. Neither of these decks exist in the meta.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:55:26 AM by Rethorian »

Offline stranger42

• Aspiring Polymath and Amateur Guide Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 01:01:58 PM »
I'm just going to chime in here with my take on HOW, not why triple warpath got hit HARD with the karani nerf.

- Karani used to be 4 cost, which translates to a turn earlier. However, her ability also worked the SAME TURN she was played. That was why Karani + 2 Brings Life by Passing was so consistent, you could drop her on the third turn and drop ramp on the same turn. You'll basically have around 8 resources to blow on turn 4, not taking into account other ramp/resource reducing cards that could be played. That's a turn 4 Skraar, or a turn 4 Pack Leader + a blocker.

- She was also a 10/10, which made her difficult to remove. With the "basic" nuke damage of many spells being at 4 i.e. Lightning, Firebolt, Yuanshi etc. what used to be a hp pool that can take 3 hits is now reduced to 2. It now takes around a third less investment into killing her, and it also puts her at the threshold of abilities like Banish.

- So now we have an 8/8, and her cost has been bumped up to 5. She's now a full turn slower, and you rely on noble and untapped draws to keep tempo. Actually, scratch that, her speed has been dropped a little more than just a simple turn, since her ability doesn't proc the same turn she's deployed. From a situation where you could effectively get 8 resources turn 4 to play with at the very least, now on turn 4 you've barely played Karani (unless you got lucky), and if you're running caretaker in command to keep Karani alive (due to the lower health), that reduces the amount of ramp you have available. Turn 5 you might be running at 7-8 resources, depending if you got extra ramp or not.

To illustrate what just how bad the timing loss is, I'm going to do a simple calculation of timing between the old and new karani, both using a command zone of Brings Life by Passing and Karani. I'm going to assume "bad" draws: No nobles, no extra ramp, no Untapped Wilderness.

Old karani:

Turn 1: 1 resource available
Turn 2: 2 (played first ramp)
Turn 3: 4 (Karani plus second ramp)
Turn 4: 8 (effectively, because of Karani giving effective +2, 4 base and 2 from the ramp)
Turn 5: 9
Turn 6: 10
Total useful resources: 1+8+9+10 = 28, since the others are used for ramp, which doesn't help you combat-wise

Current Karani
Turn 1: 1 Resource
Turn 2: 2 (first ramp)
Turn 3: 4 (Second Ramp)
Turn 4: 6 (Karani dropped)
Turn 5: 9
Turn 6: 10
Tota useful resourcesl: 1+2+1+9+10 = 23. This doesn't sound bad, until you remember that warpath doesn't have a lot of 1-drops. It's very difficult to do things with 1-2 resources unless you draw ramp, which as assumed earlier, is not happening.

Now let's look at the Karani + Ramp + Aleta setting, to protect from the nuke damage
Turn 1: 1 (used for aleta's hp buff)
Turn 2: 2 (first ramp)
Turn 3: 4
Turn 4: 5 (Karani dropped)
Turn 5: 8
Turn 6: 9
Total useful resources: 1+4+8+9 = 22. With this setup, you're a full resource behind the earlier two on turn 6, and have less resources available to be utilised. However, Karani is much safer in this setup compared to the second one without aleta.

Well, this is just my two cents on what happened to put Karani in the state she is now. She seems such a core card for Pure Warpath, much like Hermit is for his own deck. In any case, I'm curious to see what can be done to give pure warpath back some of its power.

Offline Rethorian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 01:32:18 PM »
I really wish people would actually discuss Warpath's current command problems, what options it has, and how significant having a better command zone is for the faction's future. But I guess it's my fault for talking too much about Karani.

I have some suggestions for cards that would be nice commanders to help Warpath be more viable, and while I normally refrain from posting card suggestions, because of how unlikely they are to be implemented and how little useful feedback they provide, I might post some of them later. I mean, people love talking about making up cards.

Talking about actual faction issues is apparently boring or too complicated.

Offline Symphony

• "...you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 02:39:19 PM »
I really wish people would actually discuss Warpath's current command problems, what options it has, and how significant having a better command zone is for the faction's future. But I guess it's my fault for talking too much about Karani.
No, we talk so much about Karani because she was the only card that gave the faction a fighting chance against all threats that came out in the last 3 sets. Since Karani was released, LM gave the WP (3p, that is, not Hermit decks) nothing that made the faction stand out on its own. After she was nerfed, it was abundantly clear that the faction lacked the backbone to hold itself against pretty much anything.

Optimizing the command zone might give it a slight hope of a fighting chance, but it still masks the real issue of a decaying faction.

Offline stranger42

• Aspiring Polymath and Amateur Guide Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 02:44:01 PM »
It's very difficult to talk about triple warpath and not about karani. Even more so when you talk about a command setup. Fine, then, forget about Karani for a minute. Other command options include:

- Aleta caretaker. Healer/support kind of commander. Doesn't do much at all for combat, except to be dropped as a desperation (?) defender, which she's actually not bad at. Except when it's that stage, she can trade what, 2 for 1?

- Aleta Survivor. I had hopes for this card when she came out, but I don't think she's caught on much. Her restriction to 4 cost or less is tough, in my opinion, just because I feel warpath's most critical card at the moment is Pack Leader, which is 5 costed. If you have untapped wilderness out, well and good, you can pull Pack Leaders and now if you want, Shamba and get the most out of your beasts.

- Matriarch. She might have a little potential with cycling hasted blockers back and forth between the defense and support zone, but I really won't be able to tell how well this would work. An added weakness is the potency of early game drops such as GI's early 10/10+ that can 1 shot your blockers, or Kali who can just burn them away.

- Pack Leader. A 5 cost that (usually) needs to be on the battlefield to actually do something. Probably one of the best field buffers in any faction.

Actually, I'm going to stop here and go off on a tangent, because something occured to me while thinking about Pack Leader. The thing about pure warpath is that they're supposed to be the best at two things: heavy ramp, and lots of huge beasts.

Now here's one issue I see: overdependance on key cards. You-know-who was probably the pinnacle of resource acceleration for triple warpath, but enough has been said about her. I'm actually going to talk about pack leader now.

Warpath characters are, either with above average stats, or with haste. The naturally high stat characters e.g. Tusked Behemotn are generally slow and predictable. In a game with simultaneous turns and plenty of targeted control, whether hard (death ray) or soft (stumble), relying on these guys won't do at all.

What about the hasted guys? They might not pack the raw power of their lumbering counterparts, but they do get out with much more of a surprise, and to compensate, have slightly reduced stats. On their own, hasted characters are more likely to block without being vulnerable to removal, but are unable to trade as efficiently compared to larger characters. For example, both One of Many and Killaroo can trade evenly with 3 aspirants, but One of Many can trade with Kali while Killaroo cannot.

Pack Leaders are a major factor in increasing the potency of the hasted characters. Instead of for example a 4/5 swift hunter, you're looking at a 7/8. Unfortunately, that means that a. future cards have to be designed with pack leader in mind and b. their effectiveness is dependant on pack leader in the first place.

Seriously, I'm interested to see just how many options 2 purity warpath has without pack leader. Hunted dragon is the major contender, but to be fair it comes with its own set of problems. Any others? Or has pack leader been an auto include?

My take on faction design is this: if a faction is meant to be good in a certain aspect, simply giving them the single best card in that aspect isn't enough, they should be able to approach that aspect from a variety of angles. Resource ramp/management has been approached from a variety of angles, some with more potency than others, some tweaks from that angle wouldn't go amiss though.

For the strong creature aspect, things can get a little tricky. Haste in particular makes things weird unless you heavily skew the stats towards defensive capability, otherwise you end up with another problem, namely that they become fantastic attackers as well, but with the flexibility to block.

One possible solution would be to make a mini pack leader, similar in concept to plaguebearer. Plaguebearer is cheap, which helps in timing, and provides a good buff to the whole field. Giving warpath a card like this would help a lot in leveraging the power of hasted characters and getting a better field setup in the early game. Right now, it feels like warpath has to make a tough decision of ramping and getting whacked (or missing opportunities to put pressure) or to throw out small guys early and get whacked a little later.

I think hermit's worth bringing up here, too. Why does a hermit deck do fine where a regular heavy ramp warpath suffers? Verore purity aside, Hermit is an engine that keeps making your field better and better by the turn. Pure warpath does not have this option. If it wants to take advantage of the tools given to it, it has to ramp and then hope that the increased resources can make up for the disadvantaged.

Offline Rethorian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 03:32:57 PM »
Interesting points about Pack Leader. I'm not sure if Lightmare is intentionally designing beasts with Pack Leader in mind (which is why they all suck, and synergise so well with Defiant Hermit), so i'll reserve judgement.

No, we talk so much about Karani because she was the only card that gave the faction a fighting chance against all threats that came out in the last 3 sets. Since Karani was released, LM gave the WP (3p, that is, not Hermit decks) nothing that made the faction stand out on its own. After she was nerfed, it was abundantly clear that the faction lacked the backbone to hold itself against pretty much anything.

Optimizing the command zone might give it a slight hope of a fighting chance, but it still masks the real issue of a decaying faction.
Warpath has real issues, but I don't think the entire faction is a lost cause. I think it would only take a handful of new cards to breathe life back into the faction (although there will still be a lot of dead weight in it's faction pool of cards).

I point out the command zone because of consistancy. I occasionally play Warpath. And when I draw perfectly, the faction works like magic. I usually refer to his as a god hand. But then I play other times, and draw complete garbage. And unlike other factions which can rely on their command zone to survive suboptimal draws, at least until they've drawn a number of them, Warpath doesn't have that luxury.

I think everyone knows Warpath is slow as crap. I think everyone knows it's all over the place. So what else is there to say about how crap it is? So I want to focus on where the solution may be: Giving Warpath a consistant way to ramp up, get beasts on the field without dying to early tempo.

Now, you can give Warpath haste characters until the cows come home, but at the end of the day, if you don't draw them, they're not going to help.

So, looking forward, Warpath needs commanders that can 1. Repel or delay high tempo decks 2. Provide consistant ramp options, much like Karani did (not saying make Karani 2.0) 3. Fill the dreaded 4 drop spot (like seriously, Warpath NEEDS a good 4 drop now Karani is 5). Right now, I can't think of any cards to add to Warpath that don't go in the command zone that can save it.

The alternative is to keep making bad cards for Warpath.

Offline Angelshard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 04:38:52 PM »
I agree that triple WP has an issue with command

I do however think Order gave some aid to triple WP (not as much as with mixed purity but still)

Guard can help, keeps a medium defender alive by sacrificing a lightweight.

Guard, rite of rage is even better as it boosts another unit, but requires a better draw.

Also I've begun including Zuza and Agent Coyle from factionless to assist. Zuza actually makes taunt a useful card

I do agree however that triple WP have a serious issue.

Offline Heaven-Canceler

• Travelling worlds out of fascination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 06:19:55 PM »
I agree with you that the faction has Need for development

When I first saw Warpath, it looked very similar to green of MtG, though I soon noticed some differences. But there is one Thing I only noticed recently.

The ramp and General Cards work in a really annoying way. It makes no difference between the cost of the character, thus making it much more efficient to Play a bunch of medium or small guys compared to one big character.

Even the stats of big guys aren't worth it. 18/18 for 7 cost, but 2 One of Many have a combined 16/18 stats and with untapped wilderness out, you can get 3 One of Many for the same Price as one Lumbering Goliath. Tusked Behemoth is 12/14, and once again, you can Play 2 One of Many for the lowered Price with Untapped out. Or one One of Many and a Swift Hunter for the unlowered prize.

And these big guys lack anything that keeps them among the living with stuff like Death Ray and Hubris of the Strong around. Then there is Never Forget the Fallen, which is awesome, but works of the number of Beasts while ignoring their power/cost entirely. Pack Leaders and the new Shamba also work more efficiently when many beasts are around.

At the same time the faction lacks stuff that gives permanent buffs to their characters which is truly sad. A Pack Leader can be killed or stumbled even if you get him out. And Area of Effect effects can really screw them over if the power is great enough.

Most big characters that are good are stuff like Skraar, Granthar and Hidden which have awesome effects to make up for their easy killability.

I think if the devs want anyone to Play big characters, they have to do something. Buffing them up would be nice, but their stats aren't the real Problem in the end, it is simply that they are more of a liability than an Advantage. Getting some Kind of buff to all beasts if you Play a character costing more than X could be an example of something useful, maybe growing the bigger the character in question is.

I feel like the Verore faction is moving away from hard control like Death Ray and Closer to damage effects with this set. That could lead to more WP potential once Rise is phased out since the hard Counter that don't care about stats or cost are among their biggest problem, but this will take very Long, so I hope there will be something done in the nearer future.

As for command Zone, I think they Need stuff to use the extra Ressources like Aleta Caretaker, or simply a better 1 drop and similar Cards that can be put there. More Variation in playstile is always important.

Other accounts of mine can be found on Spacebattles and Sufficient Velocity.

Offline Symphony

• "...you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 06:27:35 PM »
Warpath has real issues, but I don't think the entire faction is a lost cause. I think it would only take a handful of new cards to breathe life back into the faction (although there will still be a lot of dead weight in it's faction pool of cards).
Yes, of course. I speak of it as a decaying faction in the sense that it's just been getting the shaft for the last 2 sets, with recycled mechanics and uninspiring cards. It's decaying in the sense that LM seems to be psychologically preparing us to phase the faction out.
But yeah, I do believe it can be brought back to life. And with LM design ingenuity, I have no doubts the people there are able to come up with something awesome for WP. I just don't know if they want to.

Offline DrayGon777

• Friendly Neighborhood Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 02:01:49 AM »
Well, WP got shafted in the last set partly due to a lack of set structure, and partly due to lore. This set, they actually got a decent amount of cards, but it hasn't seemed to help with consistency. I like Shamba, and view him as an additional Pack Leader (though more costly but with better stats when fully paid for) so I think he's a fairly good card. It's just problematic when the meta currently seems to have a fair amount of single target elimination cards. WP seems to work better playing larger characters, but those larger characters are vulnerable to said removal. They can also play a lot of smaller characters, but those characters don't have the staying power (aside from One of Many and possibly Killaroo) that the larger characters have.

This playstyle seems to be further evidenced by the fact that some of their characters can get even bigger by spending more resources. This is useful in allowing characters to be played at a lower cost and then buffed up to a bigger size when you have the spare resources, but this concept hasn't really be brought out in enough of the lower cost characters. Dropbear is the best case of it, though it's hasted so it's starting stats aren't that good. The next lowest rage character is Enraged Hulker and that hardly sees play because otherwise it's a vanilla character. Also, aside from dropbear, the cost to stat boost is not even close to how much pure stats you can get from just summoning another character. At least a few, however, have additional benefits tacked on, which at least gives a reason to boost them for below standard stat boost (that and they are already on the field so with the exception of hasted characters, they can deal the damage or block the hits the same turn where new characters can't).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 02:03:33 AM by DrayGon777 »
Just so you guys know, if you're ever vs WWK, just start putting out random numbers and mathematical symbols, he will surrender.

Vertu Honagan

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 05:58:16 AM »
I wonder why everyone says a Warpath Command zone must be a certain way for all triple Warpath decks. In my opinion, no command zone should ever be the same for every deck. The command zone should be set up to complement the deck itself. If you are running a pure beast deck you are going to want a different set up in command than a ramp Warpath deck.

In a normal old Ramp style Warpath deck you're going to want cards in your command zone that assist you in ramping quickly so a command zone would look something like this:

Aleta Immortal Caretakter, Brings Life By Passing, Karani. (Turn 1 buff the BLBP to survive AoE/Lightning blasts, Turn 2 play BLBP, turn 3 either another BLBP or a Skraars Young, Turn 4: Karani etc)

If you were running a beast deck however, the command zone would look something like this:

Granthar, Shamba, Pack Leader/Rakaarl/Karani (Depending on what style deck. If you are running a beast deck for Call of the Warpath Karani is more than likely going to be the best pick.)

Obviously these not what needs to be ran as commanders, but they are just general ideas of strategies that you can use with your command zone to help assist the strategy that you want your deck to pull off. I tend to generally like to mix my Beast command with my Ramp command but using a good defensive support unit Such as Jungle Giant instead of Caretaker to help my Call of the Warpath deck live longer.