Author Topic: How to fix Slaughter  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Mafia_Puppet

• View Profile
How to fix Slaughter
« on: September 04, 2014, 11:10:20 PM »

Purity 1: Sacrifice X creatures. At the beginning of opponent's turn, they must sacrifice X creatures.

Purity 2:Each player sacrifices 2 random characters on the battlefield. Creatures you control cannot be moved from the battlefield this turn.

Other suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:12:25 PM by Mafia_Puppet »

Offline JSlayerXero

• View Profile
Re: How to fix Slaughter
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 11:12:54 PM »
1. In addition to playing CARDNAME, sacrifice two characters. Each other player sacrifices two random characters. (Still sacrifice downside, but now it's targeted sacrifice, for better or worse)

2. Sacrifice two random characters. If you do, each other player sacrifices two random characters. (Same general feel, but you MUST sacrifice or it does nothing)

3. Each player sacrifices two random characters. If a player cannot sacrifice a character, he/she discards a random card instead. (Exile 1 might be necessary, as it becomes an alternate Mind Splinter against a 0 character field. If used on your own field, it would play into the Exile's discarding mechanic.)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:18:55 PM by JSlayerXero »
Despite preferring to go by Xero, it's not frequently the part of my name people latch on to. Oh well. I deal with it.

Offline Symphony

• "...you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 11:24:31 PM »
Purity 1: Sacrifice X creatures. At the beginning of opponent's turn, they must sacrifice X creatures.
Overwhelming Dead / Jinhai Ambush and you'll have your enemy sacrifice 5 or 4 characters. For 1 purity this is too abusable.

While I don't like Slaughter's RNG, but still don't think it's threatening enough to be changed on its own, there is one change I'd love to see on the card. Make it so sacrificing 2 of your own characters (even if it's still random) is a requisite for the ability to go off. The big problem with the card is being able to spam it while having no characters, getting the full benefits w/o a single drawback.

Vertu Honagan

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 01:04:14 AM »
Make it so sacrificing 2 of your own characters (even if it's still random) is a requisite for the ability to go off. The big problem with the card is being able to spam it while having no characters, getting the full benefits w/o a single drawback.

I can completely agree that this is the only thing that could be possibly wrong with this card.

To be honest, I never saw this card played until now. So honestly it's a pretty useless card in any non mil deck.

Offline bullno1

• View Profile
    • bullno1
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 11:02:45 AM »
I thin it's fine as it is. This is one of the few counters to Oblivion.

Offline MrSinister

• Why cant i hold all this cheese ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 12:21:52 PM »
I do use this card in combination with the Sleepers of Avarach. Its a win-win situation. Your sleepers get stronger and your oponent sacrifices 2 creatures.

Offline CommunistMountain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 12:41:20 PM »
I do use this card in combination with the Sleepers of Avarach. Its a win-win situation. Your sleepers get stronger and your oponent sacrifices 2 creatures.
A lot of things are win–win situations for the Sleepers. They were designed to benefit from dying, after all.

Sure, rain down all the Mass Deaths you want, we're all good.

Offline Clearbeard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 07:03:54 AM »
Until those never sufficiently accursed Overseers come and start shooting up the place.  Because Sleepers were really so over powerful they needed a game faction whose every advantage is designed to obliterate them.  Can't they just let us reach perfection in peace?

Offline JSlayerXero

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 02:55:20 AM »
4. Sacrifice two random characters. If you do, each player has two of his/her characters die. (No longer pierces enemy invincibility, but still hits your own, making that risky)

5. Two random characters die in each player's field. (No invincibility piercing at all.)
Despite preferring to go by Xero, it's not frequently the part of my name people latch on to. Oh well. I deal with it.

Offline Mafia_Puppet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 03:52:03 AM »
You know what might make Wholesale Slaughter a fun card? I get that making it Sacrifice X, kill random X can be combo'd for mad value, but what if it was a skill shot?

1P: Sacrifice X deployed characters in target zone. Kill X random characters in the same zone.

You can still use slaughter to punish hiding in the support zone, but not the command zone and necessarily X for X. You can still sacrifice a ton of trash tokens for mad value, but only if you call the correct zone. And it's easy to predict, since it'd be most commonly used following a token summon by someone splashing Exiles. It also prevents bullpuffy like bypassing shields and other save effects. If the player is targeting any zone besides command, then there is a 2/3 chance that you could avoid the effect at the cost of missing whatever opportunity you had in that zone. And finally, it actually feels like what the card describes. With the increased chance of whiff, I think it'd even be fair to bump the cost down to 2.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 03:55:53 AM by Mafia_Puppet »

Offline trivialpursuit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 05:07:29 AM »
You know what might make Wholesale Slaughter a fun card? I get that making it Sacrifice X, kill random X can be combo'd for mad value, but what if it was a skill shot?

1P: Sacrifice X deployed characters in target zone. Kill X random characters in the same zone.

You can still use slaughter to punish hiding in the support zone, but not the command zone and necessarily X for X. You can still sacrifice a ton of trash tokens for mad value, but only if you call the correct zone. And it's easy to predict, since it'd be most commonly used following a token summon by someone splashing Exiles. It also prevents bullpuffy like bypassing shields and other save effects. If the player is targeting any zone besides command, then there is a 2/3 chance that you could avoid the effect at the cost of missing whatever opportunity you had in that zone. And finally, it actually feels like what the card describes. With the increased chance of whiff, I think it'd even be fair to bump the cost down to 2.

I'd much rather have this version than the current, that's for sure.

Offline JSlayerXero

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 06:06:33 PM »
+1 to Mafia's idea. I'm not too heavy on the cost reduction, but I like the idea.

Offline Stingeris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 01:20:58 PM »
My proposed change. Choose a number of deployed characters to sacrifice(1-3). That number of oponents Creatures are killed(not sacrificed anymore) randomly.

This changes.
1. Thus shield/invincibility works now.
2. You cannot get 2 creatures dead now for measly cost withouth drawback.
3. You can count effects better now. No need to sacrifice 2 of your own units for only 1 unit enemy got.
4. Up to 3 targets now.
5. Can only sacrifice your deployed zone.