Author Topic: Infinity Wars 2015 discussion.  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Binni / Brynwulf

• Gaming industry vet. CCP, DICE, Paradox. Icelandic
    • View Profile
Infinity Wars 2015 discussion.
« on: September 04, 2014, 08:17:46 AM »
Sorry I'm new to this game but am a little confused by the IW 2015 announcement.

I just need confirmation on one thing.  Since this is a new client is it also a "new game"?  Main question for me is....will our card collections carry over??

Sorry it may be a stupid question but any strange decision is possible when it comes to gaming companies :P

Offline Cleanse

• View Profile
    • Message Cleanse on Infinity Wars Wiki
Re: Infinity Wars 2015 discussion.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 08:21:28 AM »
Quote from: Elphie "Agent" Coyle
So it's clear, all contents of your profile including card collections & achievements will carry over to IW2015.

Offline Mysterion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 08:22:08 AM »
No cards will be deleted from your collection if that is what you mean. All cards you have received up until this point you will keep.

Edit: ninja'd by cleanse.

Offline Binni / Brynwulf

• Gaming industry vet. CCP, DICE, Paradox. Icelandic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »
Yeah I saw it after i posted :)

Sorry being an old MTG and CCG vet this announcment felt a little off.  Now it feels pretty good.

Bring on IW 2015 :)

Offline darkknight1812

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 08:44:04 AM »
I am still confused as to why there will be an IW2015. Does that mean each year there will be a new iteration? Why not just update "IW2014"?

Offline AirborneScientist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 09:17:14 AM »
From what I have read IW2014 runs "peer-to-peer" which means when you play a game, you are connected directly to your opponent. Lightmare want to move to a server model where both players connected to a central server. This means things like spectating, no more endless turns and multi-player formats will be possible.

BUT it's a big change to the game client so they are developing it side-by-side with IW2014 until it's ready.

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 09:52:12 AM »
From what I have read IW2014 runs "peer-to-peer" which means when you play a game, you are connected directly to your opponent. Lightmare want to move to a server model where both players connected to a central server. This means things like spectating, no more endless turns and multi-player formats will be possible.

BUT it's a big change to the game client so they are developing it side-by-side with IW2014 until it's ready.

Exceptionally accurate.

Basically at this current time we have a client that's been developed over a long time, with a whole bunch of different directions/views/concepts. Clashing code, conflicting processes.

Start fresh, get everything new, updated and working with each other for something that presents a much cleaner experience.
No seriously, I really like cheese.

Quote from: Poga
I make this game, James.

Offline bullno1

• View Profile
    • bullno1
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 10:19:08 AM »
Basically at this current time we have a client that's been developed over a long time, with a whole bunch of different directions/views/concepts. Clashing code, conflicting processes.

Start fresh, get everything new, updated and working with each other for something that presents a much cleaner experience.

And new bugs :P? jk

Being a developer myself, I support this move. It seems like the game has become more complicated than it was planned for. Monkey patching it just make things worse. It's time to start fresh.

Offline -tHeGaMe-

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 10:37:48 AM »
I'm 100% for this move. Too many things have changed with the client to keep attempting band aid type fixes and rehashing of old code to fit new goals. A clean start on a fresh new client sounds to be the best course of action and I fully support this bold move taken by Lightmare. The experience gained from the first iteration of the game client can be used to make a smoother and cleaner experience, hopefully with less bugs. I cant wait til december to see whats in store for us :D

Time to play -tHeGaMe-

Offline kingmobmaskreplica

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 10:46:04 AM »
Did I miss this announcement? Where was the IW2015 Client announced? Also I am for it based on the meagre info in this thread.

Offline -tHeGaMe-

• View Profile

Time to play -tHeGaMe-

Offline ap0

• If I could merge the Mundane and the Magic....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 08:27:26 PM »
So; after IW2015 is released, we can still play IW2014, just without updates..?

Offline Chapmandu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 10:13:54 PM »
Why announce this now? We should all be celebrating Gold release not being told about IW2013's shortcomings and the fact that it's code base is so bad that it needs re-writing! Lightmare is constantly telling us to look to the future while consistently neglecting the game right now with obvious bugs and issues.

Seeing as this has been communicated so poorly again my questions are:
- What's the thinking behind a new IW client each year? Games like Duels of the Plainswalker need do this as they charge for each release and contain different cards, are Lightmare going to start doing the same? Why not have one client that gets updated as new features come along?
- How much of an issue is botting? It keeps being mentioned in various posts which suggests it's got Lightmare's attention.
- Will IW2015 replace IW2014 or will they be run as 2 different products at the same time?
- Will IW2014 receive new features or will the development effort be focused on IW2015?
We fight for the users!

Offline Coolcor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 11:31:30 PM »
It is rare to do this for free to play games but not unprecedented. Marvel heroes added 2015 to its name this year to mark a big update it got. They were able to get a new metacritic page so the bad obsolete metascore from launch isn't on their steam store page before and they got some press for their update. Who knows if the new IW client will be enough to get any attention and press will give it a 2nd look after launch but it might be worth a shot.

So; after IW2015 is released, we can still play IW2014, just without updates..?

I'm just curious why would you want to keep playing on old version of the same game without updates? Do you not want any of the features 2015 is supposed to have that are listed in the announcement? Feels strange to do like somebody asking to keep playing an old version of the client before they added rift runs forever after lightmare announced they will add rift runs.

Of course if lightmare messes up and the 2015 client is worse and buggier than 2014 I could understand not wanting to switch. Hopefully that won't happen.

Offline Qfasa

• View Profile
    • русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 01:33:48 AM »
Let me make this clear. The only (well, may be not the only one but the main one) reason why the current version was released right now, because you cannot run two beta versions of the same game at the same time. People wouldn't understand such move, so you need to "clear a space" for the new early access version. And the only way to do that was to announce the current version as "finished" and to release it! Doesn't matter if it's actually ready or not – with the new version in December you just cannot wait any longer.

Now all you need to do is survive puffystorm of reviewers and in a few months you will get your "beta"-shield back. And then you don't need to make every new patch 100% ready, because you're in the beta. And eventually everything will be great, we just need to wait for the "final" version. And in the meantime you will work at the two versions of the game. Even at three versions, since Elphie said you want to continue work on the mobile version. You cannot properly handle a single one, it's still full of bugs and problems, how on Earth you can keep three of them?

I really hope I misunderstand something in that scheme. May be you have good intention with all this stuff but right now it just looks... too wrong.
www.TCGO.ru – русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).