Author Topic: What types of promotions would get you to play/spend more?  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Mysterion

• View Profile
What types of promotions would get you to play/spend more?
« on: September 03, 2014, 08:55:18 PM »
This thread is intended to help the devs and from my own curiosity and inspired by my post in the golden tickets thread.

Pretty self explanatory in title. With the official release of the game and the golden ticket promotion that they have which seems to have mixed reviews, what type(s) of promotions do you like? What would make you go out of your way or play a little more than normal? What would make you spend money (or more money) on the game promotions wise?

For me I like the quest system and think they should expand it. Marketplace promotions are also a good thing to help get people to spend that little extra. I know when I used to play poxnora I would always wait for the the double or triple station cash promotions to buy anything (when SOE owned it). Lightmare has some decent pricing for their LP though. Special tournament promotions would be nice depending on the type of tourney. Draft style tourneys are my personal favorite, but IW does not have a traditional draft mode..yet. Rift runs are not fun to me anymore due to bugs, wonky draws, lack of decent reward scaling.

So here is an example of a few promotions of the types I was talking about:

- Quest system promotion:

Can really have any theme you want, but at least 2 weekends and different types of quests for the different players types are necessary. This was my launch week quest idea from the golden ticket thread:                                                                                         

- Win 100 ranked games: Get a legendary card of your choice (see below for details).
   - Win 50 ranked games: Get an epic card of your choice.
   - Win 25 ranked games: Get a rare card of your choice.
   - Win 10 ranked games: Get a free booster pack.
   - Win 100 constructed games: Get 5 free booster packs of your choice.
   - Win 10 games of each game mode: 50% XP/IP boost token.
   - Win 50 rift run games: 15,000 ip.
   - Play 100 constructed games: Get a booster pack of your choice with a guaranteed Premium. (called epic booster!)
   - Play 50 ranked games: 15,000ip.
   - Play any 25 games: Free super booster pack of your choice (Is the super booster different than a normal one? If not get rid of the name for a normal booster)
   - Play 10 games: Get a 25% ip/xp boost.
   - Play 40 games with a 3 purity deck: Epic card reward for the played faction.  (This can be done for all factions)
   - Play 50 ranked games with a 3 purity deck, and win 25 games with a 3 purity deck: Special avatar and a legendary card reward of the faction played. (This can be done for all factions)
   - Play 10 games of each game mode: Free booster.
   - Complete 6 launch week quests: 250 LP, Foil Rare of your choice, title.
   - Complete 12 launch week quests: 500 LP, Foil Epic of your choice, title.
   - Complete 18 launch week quests 1000 LP, Foil legendary of your choice, title.
All single card rewards are soul bound.

For the give any card rewards I think that is a type of reward that needs to be coded into the game. One of the hardest parts of any TCG is getting specific cards. I think a pick a card reward would be welcome by players. I have seen the same type of reward given out in another tcg I used to play so it has been done before. If you cannot code this instead people who complete these quests can get the card by emailing LM until you code it in. I feel it is an important part of the promotion rewards. These rewards may seem generous, but it is meant to be. It is launch week after all! This encourages play with 1 account and has a variety of goals all types of players can achieve.

Marketplace promotion idea:

- Special promotion week only packs/boxes that offer something unique or a chance at something unique. (such as a guaranteed premium card)
- X% off the price of LP
- Special promotion week only avatar
- Bonus cards added to packs purchased with LP (ties into #1)

Nothing revolutionary here, but a little something to sway that person on the verge of spending to spend and getting someone to spend that little bit extra are the keys to my promotion types here.

Tournament promotions:

I dislike "meta" style tourneys unless there is a healthy amount of deck types viable in said meta (has not been the case with IW since I have started playing). I mean really different deck types too not just the same deck with 4-5 card changes in it. My choose your own card token though would make a great reward for tourneys of all types. I would love to see a rift run tourney promotion... when they fix rift runs. Something with free entry and decent prizes and something with paid entry with top notch prizes should be the aim to cater to several player types. A rift run tourney with prizes for the most overall wins (in the given time frame), most wins with a singular deck, for example would be a great way to divvy up prizes. Prizes should include IP, LP (for the paying tourney) foils, plats, legendarys etc.. Not sure of the legality of giving away LP though. Might hit some walls there.

All of the above promotions would get me playing more and maybe spend some more (depending on how balanced the game is imo).

Offline Caberman

• View Profile
Re: What types of promotions would get you to play/spend more?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 09:54:39 PM »
I strongly diagree with the rewards in you system, giving out legendaries by choice ruins the fun and mystery in getting them IMO and will ruin market value (everyone getting a martyr golem, yah) even if they are soulbound. This is especially true for foil cards, there are foil legendaries out there which are 1 of a kind, it pretty much ruins motivation of pack opening for me.
"A cynical bastard"

Vengeful warrior or bust.

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 01:29:37 AM »
I strongly diagree with the rewards in you system, giving out legendaries by choice ruins the fun and mystery in getting them IMO and will ruin market value (everyone getting a martyr golem, yah) even if they are soulbound. This is especially true for foil cards, there are foil legendaries out there which are 1 of a kind, it pretty much ruins motivation of pack opening for me.

Prize levels are not really what Mysterion is talking about though, hes talking about some different sorts of promotional events designed to be engaging and interesting, hes not talking about giving everyone legendaries. :)
Goose got me loose!

Offline Mysterion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 04:26:30 AM »

Prize levels are not really what Mysterion is talking about though, hes talking about some different sorts of promotional events designed to be engaging and interesting, hes not talking about giving everyone legendaries. :)

Adorabear hit the nail on the head. Less about the prize structure and more about engaging dynamic events. I will have to disagree with you about the generosity of the prizes though. I do not see how giving away relatively few legendaries, epics and foils etc.. will ruin pack opening at all as promotional events have a short time frame. Just like this gold event will do nothing to the "value" of cards in the long run (with a few exceptions maybe).
   This is also a digital game. There is no "real" collectors value here, at all. People need to understand that. These "cards" are nothing more than little data bytes. The only "value" they hold is what the players give them and have no tangible value whatsoever like a paper TCG. There is no such thing as a "limited edition" in the digital world even if that word is used, since with a few keyboard strokes an infinite amount amount of any card can be made so the word "limited" by definition should never be used in a digital format imo. Accessibility is a bigger more important issue for the game than people's perceived value of cards that do not really exist. The giving out a few "shiny" and rarer cards will make players happy, play the game more and spend a little extra money on the game I see no issues here at all that would concern me of this type of prize structure hurting the games health or anyone's experience. I would rather everyone have access to the cards and be able to play them. Promotions are a great way to give out that accessibility to people and some "shiny" cards for collectors and such. I see it as a win win. To each there own though and I respect your opinion, though perhaps you can expand upon why you feel this way?

Offline Grinnin_Gin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 05:02:05 AM »
A simple IP/EXP coin giveaway or something would be perfectly fine.

Offline UCD2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 12:56:17 PM »
I would play more if the game implement a system where 10 tribbles is randomly spawn every turn on random battlefield zone and can't be move away from the zone.

Edited: also give them reach
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:58:29 PM by UCD2 »

Offline Knive8s9704

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 02:19:01 PM »
+1

Prizing structure is of utmost necessity if you want people to actually play more ;) or play at all. It acts as a great incentive for both older players and newcomers. Other than winning a match, players want really....you guess it: CARDS!!!!!!!

Let's be honest...not many players are going to pay $500 to buy booster packs. A lot of them are free players. What is the incentive for them to stay? The ability to get cards that are otherwise almost inaccessible through just playing. Some sort of event-card give-away for simply playing this game will be extremely beneficial. Soulbound/non-soulbound is moot for newer players...they're just trying to get all the cards to build some type of viable deck. The goal is to get them hooked on this system enough to spend a few buck to get a pack or two...and then let one thing lead to another ;)

As the player base grow, the value of the cards are going to increase regardless because of demand. Giving away legend will not affect the value in the long run. In actuality, it will help stabilize/artificially control the outrageous growth of premiums/legends. Imagine having our current player base with 20% not having a martyr golem. Then imagine 1,000,000 playerbase with 20% not having a martyr golem. What would you say about the value of martyr golem then XD so 800,000 peeps don't have a martyr...that's some demand there----> Prozac would be swimming in $$

Offline Shimrra3

• I am ... darkness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 02:22:47 PM »
Food for thought on the 'giving out legendaries' prospect. Obviously having that as a milestone everyone could reach would mean that eventually the market would be hit to an extent. Even if that's not the main purpose of the system and other rewards.

Now to fix that, I find myself looking to Blizzard once again. D3 just unleashed their seasonal play, which entails starting new characters from scratch with no access to your existing items and gold and so on. Level playing field. And there are achievements. The first players to get certain achievements (i.e. reach max level and so on) are listed on the leaderboard for the season and get a badge or something. But once the leaderboard fills... nothing.

We can apply this to the legendary prospect. First player to do X gets three legendaries of their choice. Second gets two. Third gets one. Fourth gets zero. Fifth gets zero. (Or next tier of people could get epics and so on...) A whole set of neat, intricate quests would have to be done to make it slightly more fair than just winning with top-meta-tier ranked stuff that new players can't pull off.

Of course, that could just be overly complicated. Especially for a short-term promotion. I may be spitballing ideas that should be for improving rewards...

Personally I would love the opportunity to fill out my collection with certain cards I'm missing. Doesn't even have to be legendaries (but that'd help). That being said, we should really have a more permanent system to do this to begin with, and there are systems being designed to do that already (probably).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:26:51 PM by Shimrra3 »
Quote from: Teremus
YOU WANT BALANCE? I'LL MAKE EVERY CARD IN THE GAME VIZZERDRIX

"That was the worst driving of all time!"
"Because that wasn't driving! That was flying and burning!"

Offline CaptShenanigans

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 02:48:58 PM »
This is a great idea.

I'd like to see rewards for winning x ranked games per day to encourage more ranked players.

Another great reward system could be an exp/ip boost after a new ranked threshold is hit. Every 200 points you climb on ranked latter grants a 50% boost for example.

Generally speaking I want more incentive to queue for ranked as it should be the most fun place to spend your time but right now it's the slowest queue for me. Why not add more incentives? Even something like a free pack every 20 ranked wins would be awesome and encourage those at the top of the latter to keep queuing.

Offline Knive8s9704

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 03:01:18 PM »
Yeah 100% on the concept, the rewards require more thought but that's really up to LM and what they want to give us ;) but it'd be nice to see something like this in the "near" future haha

wham

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 03:04:30 PM »

We can apply this to the legendary prospect. First player to do X gets three legendaries of their choice. Second gets two. Third gets one. Fourth gets zero. Fifth gets zero. (Or next tier of people could get epics and so on...) A whole set of neat, intricate quests would have to be done to make it slightly more fair than just winning with top-meta-tier ranked stuff that new players can't pull off.
Realistically, the game should probably count how many games, and possibly time inside of games it would take for the player to complete the achivement.
As matchmaking is now, my impression is that newer players have short queue times, While I am frequently left with ten or twenty minute queue times.

Offline 11thHour

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 03:20:05 PM »
I like the idea. Gives older players a reason to keep playing or come back to the game as well.

Offline bullno1

• View Profile
    • bullno1
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 03:48:44 PM »
More tickets to turn cards golden/platinum/foil.

Offline Chapmandu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 10:37:55 PM »
I love collecting cards so I'd love to see cards you can only get by collecting a set (like Old Murk Eye in Hearthstone). Perhaps when the forge comes in you can combine cards to make new ones?
We fight for the users!

Offline Mysterion

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 02:51:33 AM »
Going to bump this for further discussion 8)