Author Topic: IW ranked last out of 5 card games by a popular Solforge streamer.  (Read 11109 times)

Offline Darknova

• View Profile
Re: IW ranked last out of 5 card games by a popular Solforge streamer.
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2014, 11:26:19 PM »
I'm not sure I understand what a deckbuilder game means... ? It's different from a TCG ?

Offline WWKnight

• View Profile
    • dTCG Sanctum - One stop for all your IW needs!
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2014, 04:10:52 AM »
A deckbuilder game starts with just resources in your deck, and you need to buy from (usually) a shared bank. As you play the game, you build the deck. In this case, you buy from a personal shop, which is tailored to your own unique strategy.

Its free to play, just google war of omens and try it out. Its all browser based, no download required.
I'm a pretty big deal around here.

Feel privileged.

Offline TimetoSplit

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2014, 04:21:58 AM »
A deck builder is board game where each player creates their deck as you play the game.  You get cards throughout the course of a single game and add them to the starter deck, somewhat like Cube or limited formats.

A living card game is like a TCG except there are no booster packs, instead you pay one flat fee and get all the cards from a single set at once.

Offline Thechynd

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2014, 01:51:37 PM »
Does it affect gameplay?  Not that ive seen.  Im new to the game, I have about 3 upgrades and every common and uncommon card from free play.  Against human opponents, ive vsd people with cards upgraded twice (the maximum amount, for a discount of 2 gold) and still won.  It still comes down to managing resources and deck strategies. The one gold discount, id say is completely negligble. The two gold discount is a bit harsher, but I guess its implied that if you like the game, youll play it enough to even the battlefield.

Ah, so 2 is the maximum number of times you can upgrade. I assumed there'd be a limit, but was unsure as to how high that limit went. If that's the case then it sounds as though its not too bad and shouldn't be too difficult to fully upgrade a deck if you focus on just collecting specific low rarity cards that you want for your deck rather than picking up new cards that you aren't actually going to be using.

Offline ruzzlick

• Dale russell
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2014, 04:50:30 PM »
right iam not going to sit here and say IW is the best TCG ever as I have not played the other games apart from Hearthstone. but plz com on man HS second and IW last
you have to be kidding me right. HS is a good casual game its so casual I have to put my shorts  and flip flops on. but IW beats HS on so many lvls I don't have time to type it all out and spell check it.
p.S I don't know where I would put IW compared to the other games but it would be far above HS 

Offline TimetoSplit

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2014, 07:38:04 PM »
Does it affect gameplay?  Not that ive seen.  Im new to the game, I have about 3 upgrades and every common and uncommon card from free play.  Against human opponents, ive vsd people with cards upgraded twice (the maximum amount, for a discount of 2 gold) and still won.  It still comes down to managing resources and deck strategies. The one gold discount, id say is completely negligble. The two gold discount is a bit harsher, but I guess its implied that if you like the game, youll play it enough to even the battlefield.

Ah, so 2 is the maximum number of times you can upgrade. I assumed there'd be a limit, but was unsure as to how high that limit went. If that's the case then it sounds as though its not too bad and shouldn't be too difficult to fully upgrade a deck if you focus on just collecting specific low rarity cards that you want for your deck rather than picking up new cards that you aren't actually going to be using.

But it seems like people who have 1x or even 2x discounted cards get much more consistent cards - not only does a copy cost less, but they can also include more copies?  That seems pretty absurd.  So, with a deck upgraded once their deck is essentially half the size of yours (all the discounted copies + normal copies of the good cards), and twice means it's 1/3 the size?  I played the game for about 7 hours or so, but this point really bugs me - it seems like that would make the game less fun since a "better" deck has fewer unique cards and instead just a few of the strong ones.  :o

To put this in perspective, it's like saying in IW, if you're level 10 or below, you can have 3 packleaders in the maindeck.  If you're between 10 and 20, you can have 6 packleaders (3 of which cost 4 instead of 5), and above level 20, you can have NINE pack leaders (3 cost 4, 3 cost only three!).  Your deck then just becomes 31 cheap critters and packleaders.  Does that sound like a fun deck?  ???

Anyway I still recommend trying out the game, and by now I've played all of the games he listed for at least 5 hours (except solforge, working on that one), but IW ranks leagues above them all.

Offline Scellerato

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2014, 01:21:09 PM »
Is Solforge supposed to be good? I watched some of this fella's Solforge footage, and it looks pretty bad, or at least simple. There's no zones from what I can tell, and you can only have 5 cards out at a time. Is there something I'm missing perhaps?

wham

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2014, 03:38:20 PM »
You get a leveled up version shuffled into your deck every time you play a card.

Offline Scellerato

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2014, 03:41:44 PM »
Oh?
Well that sounds pretty interesting at least.

Offline greymalken

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2014, 04:54:27 AM »
TinyGrimes is a decent guy. I've played all the games he ranked and I thin he hit some good points.

IW - criticism - I've played the game for weeks and weeks, I DO enjoy it, however.....
- I've beaten the whole campaign, done some rift runs, played random instant matches, and still have yet to hit "adult" level 10 and unlock the rest of the game.....the threshold here is harsh. (currently lvl 9 halfway to 10)
-The UI has some strange issues, memory leaks, the game freezes. I had to concede one match because the card flip animation froze the displayed card large over the gamescreen.....
-have yet to get into trading, barely looked at the whole apprentice/mentor thing. The new player intro is both helpful, and does not go nearly deep enough. Forum guides, streamers, and other community resources are a big help - but I'm used to looking that stuff up. New player experience is good, but it could be much improved. The deck builder needs help, big time.

Anyway, I do enjoy the game and hop on to knock out weekly quests etc. but its got some room to grow.

Offline DefenestratedCow

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2014, 01:35:40 AM »
The one thing I really disagree with is ranking Hearthstone higher than IW in the Free to Play category.  Between Pauper, Merged, and daily free cards, IW easily beats Hearthstone in that aspect.

Offline Palaxar

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2014, 06:40:29 AM »
One of the more popular Solforge streamers played 5 different card games in the last week and now he has done a video where he ranked the games in a bunch of different categories. I thought I would share because it is interesting to see where an outsider thinks the game is strongest and weakest. This is the video to see his reasoning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL-ig290TEs

To summarize he ranked Solforge, IW, War of Omens, Hex and Hearthstone from best to worst. These are the ranks IW got in each category. They were all done comparing the current state of the games so upcoming features were mentioned but not considered in the ranks.

Innovative-3rd
Going digital-2nd
User Interface-3rd
Depth-3rd
New Player Experience-1st!
Free to play-4th
trading, auction house and crafting-1st!
Skill mitigating cost- 3rd
Organized play-4th
Card art-1st!
Supported Platforms-5th (Got robbed compared to hex due to not knowing about the non-steam client.)
Shocking Omissions-4th (1st is worst in this one. A non-horrible deckbuilder was the omission for IW but he knows the new one is coming soon.)

Overall Subjective Favourites-5th!

Obviously IW would have a hard time getting first with the bias he would have toward Solforge. Although getting ranked last is rough. Hopefully IW will get so good by the time he does this again it will need to get ranked higher. I know planned things coming soon like the new deck builder will help a lot.

If someone is curious to see how him trying IW as a new player went this is the stream from last week.

http://www.twitch.tv/tinygrimes/b/541525393
I think that at the very most, Infinity Wars would've gotten 3rd, because he has a huge bias towards both Solforge and Hearthstone. Alot of the points that he made towards Infinity Wars were simply not true, possibly one of the biggest example of that is the fact that he doesn't know that there are tournaments going on, and the fact that there is a standalone client.

Its a fairly subjective point to make, but I also disagree with his statements on how free-to-play the game is. With Pauper, Merged, and alot of commons/uncommons in the game being some of the best cards in the game, it has nothing over the other games. Also, I think its better for free-to-play on a different level. Sure the other games might be better at free-to-play if you just play them for a few matches per day. Taking Solforge for example, you can easily buy a pack every day or maybe two, but the game doesn't start off your investment very well.

To me, there are 2-3 different types of free-to-play players, I am of a different kind than that which will like Solforge's model. I like to try out a game, potentially get hooked into it, spend lots of time initially with it and get invested into it, etc. Solforge on the other hand gates you out of doing that. Wanna get more booster packs? come back tomorrow or pay money because you won't even get enough silver for half a pack if you play out your matches until you reach our cap. In Infinity Wars, you invest alot of time initially and you're spammed with boosters for levelling up, and the game gives you alot more cards via the campaign(in Solforge, you get 2 starter decks. In Infinity Wars, you get 8).

Edit: Just thought I would add in that I do think that the game is grindy in some ways, but come on, second to last where as last is a game thats not even Free to Play? I'd at least put it above Hearthstone, but again, he's got a bias towards it. Hearthstone gets a pass because of one specific deck, rather than any actual mechanics in the game to help make it more Free to Play.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:16:11 AM by Palaxar »
________
     |___|   
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Got thesis!

Offline MaximumSquid

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2014, 01:14:25 AM »
IW easily has the best Free2Play experience of all of them

MM:DoC, which used to have the worst Free2Play experience is strangely absent from the list (and is widely considered better than Hearthstone)

I was under the impression that SolForge had trading (but only cards bought with real money from the store/draft/tourney) are tradable
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:50:23 AM by MaximumSquid »

Offline Thechynd

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2014, 09:57:31 AM »
I was under the impression that SolForge had trading (but only cards bought with real money from the store/draft/tourney) are tradable
They don't have trading yet, but they have already implemented soulbound and non-soulbound cards in preparation for when it is implemented. They do have a forging system to help players obtain cards they need, but like most forge systems scrapping a card only gets you a fraction of its value compared to if you were able to trade cards 1 for 1 with another player. All cards of a certain rarity have the same cost to forge as one another (and the same value when sold in the forge), but cards from the latest expansion can't be forged until about a month after their initial release (usually when the next expansion  is released).

Offline bio

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2014, 06:25:47 AM »
Honestly I kind of feel like his rating suggests something rather contrary to the rating he gave.
While I would generally give IW a high rating (particularly in terms of depth) I think it probably should have ranked 4th or 5th in terms of new player experience. The campaign is easy to get into and that part is great but a lot of new players kind of seem to get lost once they finish that and not give the game much of a chance past the campaign.
I feel like his rankings of IW with regards to free to play, depth, trading, skill mitigating cost and organized play were because he didn't give the game enough a chance because there is sort of a gap for new players trying to transition from the campaign to the real meat of the game.