Author Topic: Intellectual Property/ Distancing ourselves  (Read 3972 times)

Offline Alphagold3

• View Profile
Re: Intellectual Property/ Distancing ourselves
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 12:59:55 AM »
Personally I don't think patents that are too generalized should be allowed. If you invent a machine that does one thing by one method, then your patent should not be so general that another machine that comes to the same end result by a completely different method isn't allowed. Or in the case of card and video games, I don't think you should be allowed to patent a word so that it can't be used in another game. For instance tapping, what if you had a card game that had a mechanic called tapping that has nothing to do with the tapping mechanic from MtG? Like maybe you could tap a resource card to boost a character card and this moves the resource card to the graveyard. That would have the same name but still be a different effect. Maybe you have a card or board game whereby you physically tap on a card to designate that it is a target or something. If things like that aren't allowed because of a patent, then I think the patent needs to be reworded. As it is now, many games have extremely similar mechanics that are all called by different names and that's just ridiculous.

WWKnight

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 01:03:09 AM »
He only trademarked the symbol for tapping.  Besides, I find exhaust so much better.  Or I REALLY loved Stand and Kneel in game of thrones.  I think finding a term that suits flavour is far better than using one that is purely mechanical.

Offline Zinqf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 08:44:29 PM »
The only IP issue I have so far is Lightning Blast being an exact remake of a MTG card in everything but the name.
Death Ray reminds me of Terror.
And Mass Death reminds me of Wrath of God.

Also Yu-gi-oh got slammed for the use of their "Magic Cards" which were basically ability cards. Since then Konami changed them to "Spell Cards".
Fact - 42.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.