Author Topic: How is order determined with spells and abilities during resolution phase?  (Read 978 times)

Offline pistonsfreak41

• View Profile
I understand the order of the Resolution Phase, however when it comes to spells and abilities, how is the order determined of how they go off?  I remember watching in the Advanced Commentary video, one guy tried to protect his one Dragon with a spell card the prevents it from being targeted, yet other player played a card that targeted the monster and killed it.  I know some would argue because one guy was casting a spell that should have protected the dragon from being targeted, it should have not been targeted.

Maybe it is just me, but I think order of how, when and why spell and abilities go off should be explained in the tutorial or in some other form.  I'm sure this could is probably being thought of as I type this and will get debated during the alpha and beta testing (both of which I can't wait for!), but this is something could make or break it for a lot of people.

Just my little input on this.

Offline Koey

• The one trapped in the Hamster ball.
    • View Profile
Re: How is order determined with spells and abilities during resolution phase?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 03:19:46 AM »
There is a initiative mechanic. Which is randomly decided at the beginning of the game and alternates between each turn.
The UI was not updated with that feature when the video was filmed, and would be added in some format in the future.

Also for execution order - for most cases:
1) Move all Creatures
2) Spells Fire based on Initiative
3) Creatures Abilities
4) Creatures Attack

Offline pistonsfreak41

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 03:40:42 AM »
Ok, that makes a lot of sense.  That actually really does add too strategy because have to decide when to summon monster bring out a character and then play defensive spell to protect it.  Does a character have to be on the attack/defensive field at least a turn before a defensive spell can be cast on it?

Offline Michael Saniyan

• The furry brony without a Facebook account
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 07:08:12 AM »
Nope. Since movement comes before spells, you can just move your character out onto the battlefield and then cast the spell on him/her. The game also allows you to select "illegal" targets in case the resolution of spells and/or effects make the target legal again before the spell is cast. That was kinda irrelevant to your question, but I like mentioning it because it's cool as heck.
"Lift me beyond the realm of men, so that I may never have to suffer through their lies again." - Angelify