Author Topic: {Bug} Major cause of Desync Isolated  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Zinqf

• View Profile
{Bug} Major cause of Desync Isolated
« on: March 10, 2013, 10:15:37 AM »
The "turn start" phase and "positioning cards" phases of a turn BEFORE the resolve phase are not in sync with the other player until the resolve phase starts.

This creates many issues. Basically, either you or the opponent will see a decrease in morale or health that the other player will not see! This causes the desync as one of the players are directed to the post-game screen and the other player hangs in their turn passing indefinitely as the resolve phase doesn't sync.

Example 1.a.

In this example, I can move weakened militia which have less than 1 health unless enough of the militia are in the same zone.

On my side, when I put all the militia in the same zone, they'll be 7/4s. This does not sync the same way on the opponents' side when the resolve phase positions the cards.

The opponent sees this in their resolve phase...

*Moves militia to assault zone, it becomes a 2/0 and dies*
*All the millitia come back to life as 7/4s in the assault zone*

Factionless player loses 21 morale. Opponent wins.

The factionless player sees a bunch of 7/4s in the attack zone ready to pummel face but the turn will not move to the resolve phase due to a desync in data sent to the opponent.

This issue does not only affect Militia.

This will affect Pack Leaders buffing beasts that are weakened but not killed.

This affects people who draw with no cards in their deck, registering a morale defeat that the opponent does not see. (Although this one might have been fixed in 0.77)

This affects all other temporary of specific pump-ups that have criteria met.

This can be fixed by only doing a character health check AFTER the positioning phase is done and before the "Abilities" phase starts. Very simple.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:27:25 AM by Zinqf »
Fact - 42.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Offline robbiesla

• "Player Experience Designer"
    • View Profile
Re: {Bug} Major cause of Desync Isolated
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 11:44:05 PM »
This has been passed through to the correct channels and we are now aware of the cause of the issue (Because of you ;) )

Thanks!

Offline Zinqf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 07:28:20 AM »
If a player decks out turns early, the morale loss from decking isn't transmitted to the opponent. So the moment the opponent defeats you through morale, it will cause another desync as the victory/defeat check reports a morale defeat for the opponent but doesn't return a victory for the other player (they'll basically have a turn that will not play out a resolution).

Also, the desync from this morale loss usually doesn't happen when the opponent decks themselves, but after they've lost morale to another effect AFTER they've decked themselves. This other effect could be losing characters, card effects, "drawing another card while decked out", etc...

Drawing extra cards tends to bring the opponent's view of their deck "out of sync" as well as cards like "Fill the Graves" which mills 10 cards off each player's deck.

I'd like to think of this as "The other Major cause of Desync", as there is more than one way for these morale shenanigans to occur. I'm sure that if card quantities were accurately reported to both players and checks for -10 morale due to lack of a card draw being reported to both players...this would be effective. Maybe even adding in a "X Player loses 10 morale due to having no cards in their deck" would allow players to more easily identify the conclusion of a game even if the deck syncing hasn't been fixed completely yet.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 07:35:09 AM by Zinqf »
Fact - 42.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 01:54:56 AM »
If a player decks out turns early, the morale loss from decking isn't transmitted to the opponent. So the moment the opponent defeats you through morale, it will cause another desync as the victory/defeat check reports a morale defeat for the opponent but doesn't return a victory for the other player (they'll basically have a turn that will not play out a resolution).

Also, the desync from this morale loss usually doesn't happen when the opponent decks themselves, but after they've lost morale to another effect AFTER they've decked themselves. This other effect could be losing characters, card effects, "drawing another card while decked out", etc...

Drawing extra cards tends to bring the opponent's view of their deck "out of sync" as well as cards like "Fill the Graves" which mills 10 cards off each player's deck.

I'd like to think of this as "The other Major cause of Desync", as there is more than one way for these morale shenanigans to occur. I'm sure that if card quantities were accurately reported to both players and checks for -10 morale due to lack of a card draw being reported to both players...this would be effective. Maybe even adding in a "X Player loses 10 morale due to having no cards in their deck" would allow players to more easily identify the conclusion of a game even if the deck syncing hasn't been fixed completely yet.

This has been passed through to the correct channels and we are now aware of the cause of the issue (Because of you ;) )

Thanks!
No seriously, I really like cheese.

Quote from: Poga
I make this game, James.