Author Topic: Sacrifice vs Dying  (Read 693 times)

Viquel

Sacrifice vs Dying
« on: March 04, 2013, 07:53:26 AM »
So I thought it would be a good idea to play Shikana and then sacrifice my dragon of wisdom to him as required - this would give me a 9/9 for 6 and 2 extra cards each turn.
Turns out, it doesn't work - a sacrificed Dragon of Wisdom goes to the Graveyard.

Somehow this was to be expected, BUT have a look at Verore Death Worshiper: "Whenever an enemy character dies, ..."
Now if you played GI against a VDW, you notice that sacrificing triggers his ability and you doom yourself playing the faction as intended.

So on the one hand sacrificing counts as dying and on the other hand it does not.

One of them is bugged, tell me which one so I can file my bug report :)

I think "sacrifice" should never be "death" and Verore Death Worshiper shouldn't benefit from sacrifices - otherwise my DoW and Shikana would be a dream team and defeat the purpose of both :P

Maybe VDW could need a change in wording "Whenever an enemy creature goes from play to the GY", this would include sacrifices.

Offline Zinqf

• View Profile
Re: Sacrifice vs Dying
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 08:31:03 AM »
So I thought it would be a good idea to play Shikana and then sacrifice my dragon of wisdom to him as required - this would give me a 9/9 for 6 and 2 extra cards each turn.
Turns out, it doesn't work - a sacrificed Dragon of Wisdom goes to the Graveyard.
Sacrifice functions differently than normal death. Sacrifice is seen as a cost, you are not "killing it" but "placing it into the graveyard to satisfy the sacrifice mechanic".
Somehow this was to be expected, BUT have a look at Verore Death Worshiper: "Whenever an enemy character dies, ..."
The wording of that is bugged, it should have a more "rules oriented" clarification.

Think of it as "Whenever an enemy character goes to the graveyard from play, Verore Death Worshipper gains +1/+1"
Maybe VDW could need a change in wording "Whenever an enemy creature goes from play to the GY", this would include sacrifices.
Um yeah, I guess you know which one to file the bug report on XD
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:35:45 AM by Zinqf »
Fact - 42.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Offline Koey

• The one trapped in the Hamster ball.
    • View Profile
Re: Sacrifice vs Dying
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 12:18:42 PM »
Glad I wasn't the only one to try that combo.

Guessing the main reason sacrifice is treated differently on your side is cause when you sacrifice a unit you do not take morale damage on your side. So in a normal card game they both seem like entering GY, but its most likely 2 different function call so you do not lose morale when you sacrifice.

Also Enemy location still counts as a "character death" for VDW.