Author Topic: Attack Ability vs. Buff Ability  (Read 2690 times)

Offline DefenestratedCow

• View Profile
Re: Attack Ability vs. Buff Ability
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 11:50:45 AM »
What he's saying is that he feels it should be like Hear... that other card game where if you lose your buff, your maximum drops and not your current (unless your current was at maximum, or the current is higher than the new maximum).

This is true.  What' you're suggesting is not thatAoE spells should be changed, it's that the way buffs work should be.  Right now, if there's a 3/1 being buffed by a plaguebearer, and the plaguebearer dies, so does the 3/1.  However, you're saying that it should end up a 2/1.   This would be a much bigger discussion, since that cantly changes the way Infinity Wars works.

Offline Morgg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 01:28:10 PM »
The creature cant be a 2/1 after everything has resolved.

Two things happen to the creature. it gets 2 damage and it gets -1/ -1. The result is always 3 damage. You can aply them in any order you want.
What you try to say is 3 -2 -1 = 1
And There is nothing happen at the same time in Coding. It is always step by step even when it is so fast you cant see a difference.
If the creature would be a 2/1 after everything is resolved, it would "use" 4 health.

Offline Agrivane

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 03:41:24 PM »
The creature cant be a 2/1 after everything has resolved.
Two things happen to the creature. it gets 2 damage and it gets -1/ -1. The result is always 3 damage. You can aply them in any order you want.
What you try to say is 3 -2 -1 = 1
And There is nothing happen at the same time in Coding. It is always step by step even when it is so fast you cant see a difference.
If the creature would be a 2/1 after everything is resolved, it would "use" 4 health.

I think I'm just seeing it from the other direction, with damage being done against health in a last in first out order. 

You are not correct in your assumption about programming, I use languages like erlang which make it easy to design for things to happen in literally the same clock cycle across cores or entire systems.  In Infinity Wars we see time divided into turns, with "things to do" added to the list/array/object/sequence for that turn according to rules like "preemptive", "comes in to play", "enters combat", etc.  - so rather than the sequence of events you describe, which are a correct answer, are not the best answer.  :)   

What I'm seeing could be illustrated like this:

Three 2 health characters:

A buffing character added that gives +1 to the others:

An area affect that removes two health from all characters:

That's just the way I see it as most logical, I understand the current mechanic, I don't agree with it.  :)