Author Topic: Rules on timer.  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Barark

• View Profile
Rules on timer.
« on: August 22, 2013, 03:20:43 AM »
I want to start off by saying i love infinity wars! i have been a long time MTG player and think what you have done here is awesome!

However i am saddened by the players i play against. As a solo parent it really helps having 3 mins to take my turns, as kids run amok. However i have recently been getting abused more and more frequently for taking longer than 20 seconds to finish my turn. One person "Zingf" Abused me to tears last night as we played, and i could not find a report or ignore button. I assume i am totally in my right to use my 3 mins to make my turns, others believe i am ruining the game.

What is the official Rule on timers?

Offline Erlaya

• Lightmare Support
    • View Profile
Re: Rules on timer.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 06:44:34 AM »
Yes you are totally in your right to use 3min.  However a lot of people are looking for the quick play and as such will be very angry if you take 3min.  There are also people who intentionally take the full 3 minutes each time in order to get maximum IP. 

I too have a child but I tend to just make a comment in the chat box when I have to spend a minute doing something for him.

If people rage because you take 2min to take a turn, honestly they need to grow a little patience.

Offline Kilroy512

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 08:13:44 AM »
Yes you are totally in your right to use 3min.  However a lot of people are looking for the quick play and as such will be very angry if you take 3min.  There are also people who intentionally take the full 3 minutes each time in order to get maximum IP. 

I too have a child but I tend to just make a comment in the chat box when I have to spend a minute doing something for him.

If people rage because you take 2min to take a turn, honestly they need to grow a little patience.

Is that what that was? I thought you were just stalling for IP. :P
Quote from: WWKnight
You are probably going to end up quoting me in your sig.  Everyone else already has.

Offline Barark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 09:56:13 AM »
are you telling me, that IP gain is based on how long the game goes for? Thats..... stupid

Offline Kilroy512

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 10:33:43 AM »
Yes and no, there are benefits and negatives to both systems, rewarding IP on a time or turn basis. The negative for having it as it is, is that some people, for whatever reason, value TINY amounts of IP more than enjoying the game. These people stall turns intentionally to make the IP for that match increase. (usually to optimize gains from a match they are winning) Other times they will stall just to piss you off when you are winning. These are pretty rare though and would exist in many cases no matter what IP system they go with, so I generally give it a pass.

There is a whole thread talking about it somewhere... I think in the "Infinity Wars" section. (I don't know why the category exists when the whole forum is Infinity Wars but meh)

Looks like it isn't sticky'd anymore though. :-\
You are probably going to end up quoting me in your sig.  Everyone else already has.

Offline Barark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 10:40:22 AM »
so the if i am abused is there a way to mute or report these people?

Offline Kilroy512

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 10:49:08 AM »
Not that I am aware of, but games don't typically last long anyways. (even with someone dragging their feet) I'm sure you could mute them, but I don't know what good that would do unless you were yelling at them during the match or something. (probably not helpful to the situation)

Keep in mind that turns are handled simultaneously which means 3 minutes for a turn in this game is like 1.5 minutes for a turn in your average card game. I don't know if you played magic, but some of those turns took quite a while to plan out and execute.

As I said before though, these people are generally rare since the benefits are more than a little questionable and it destroys the fun of the game for both players. Most people just want to play the game, hence why they are playing the game.

Viquel

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
You could just explain why you are taking your time - I would myself consider you being rude if you start taking the whole 3 minutes. As already mentioned, some people absue the time-based gains when they are winning or to piss off the other guy when losing (they just leave and do something else, with any luck the oponent leaves and they gain IP. I don't need IP desperately, so I'm weak and not spending 10 minutes of my live waiting for a win, so I'm kind of enabling them, sorry ^^)

Offline Kilroy512

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 11:46:24 PM »
You could just explain why you are taking your time - I would myself consider you being rude if you start taking the whole 3 minutes. As already mentioned, some people absue the time-based gains when they are winning or to piss off the other guy when losing (they just leave and do something else, with any luck the oponent leaves and they gain IP. I don't need IP desperately, so I'm weak and not spending 10 minutes of my live waiting for a win, so I'm kind of enabling them, sorry ^^)

>:( So you're the culprit!