Author Topic: Return to Play Ruling  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Koey

• The one trapped in the Hamster ball.
    • View Profile
Return to Play Ruling
« on: July 07, 2013, 05:00:36 AM »
Out of curiosity, when a card returns to play. Is it suppose to be reset back to its base value. Just a rule check.
Cause otherwise Pilgrimage Monk should be reworded.

Offline scoobyfred27

• View Profile
Re: Return to Play Ruling
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 05:03:31 AM »
From what I know based off of Pilgrimage monk, it gains +2/+2 upon returning to play, but if you remove it from play via scavenger, when it comes back it's back to 2/3
Quote from: Teremus
Puffy actually made Infinity Wars by himself.

Offline Koey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 05:11:11 AM »
Cause I am noticing that Verore Kidnapper resets the card stat back to what it was.
Also this would explain why when Pilgrimage Monk uses her ability always comes back as 4/5 regardless of previous health as it resets her card andd gets +2/+2.

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:52:54 AM »
That's the intended functionality, yes.
No seriously, I really like cheese.

Quote from: Poga
I make this game, James.

Offline Tyonidas

• I intend to live forever – so far, so good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »
Yea, it is an effective to take that buffed up VDW sitting in the command slot and just make it worthess all over again.  ;D

Offline Koey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 04:22:43 PM »
That's the intended functionality, yes.

Well then when are we gonna see the come into play effect trigger? Since the cards are re-deployed.

Yea, it is an effective to take that buffed up VDW sitting in the command slot and just make it worthess all over again.  ;D
It is, just not what I expect.

Offline flipsyalec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 04:59:41 PM »
If the cards that keep stats when they leave play were worded like overloaded soldier (i.e. permanently) then that could be used to show what cards re-set and what don't.

Offline Fidasaind

• View Profile
    • GU Games
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 08:09:38 AM »
In terms of thinking of MTG I tend to think of buffs as enchantments. When the character leaves play, the enchantments leave too.

In terms of thinking about RPGs I'm thinking of gear or levels. That leaves 2 ways of thinking of this. 1 is when they leave play and come back they are as they were (they took their toys and experience with them and had it when they came back). The other is that they lost their equipment (in this case it would be buffs from other cards. For example, they would lose their wings from Angelify) but keep their "levels" (in this case Agent Coyle Mechborn would keep his self increased stats).

Since all 3 options can be justified to some extent, it seems that the best solution is the easiest. Unless something specifically says it retains bonuses when coming back to play, it loses them. This also leaves open the possibility eventually for cards that do retain their bonuses and/or do leave play like Pilgrimage Monk in the future. Maybe a mechanic similar to phasing from MTG or something like that. So it is a simpler mechanic and offers other options for the future.

Offline mauvebutterfly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 02:37:59 AM »
From what I'm reading here, I get the impression that Dimensional Phase Bot fully heals itself and loses any bonuses every time it uses its ability. That would be consistent with what people are saying, right? Not what I would have expected from the card.

Offline Kilroy512

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 06:04:06 AM »
From what I know based off of Pilgrimage monk, it gains +2/+2 upon returning to play, but if you remove it from play via scavenger, when it comes back it's back to 2/3

Can we add an exception to this card for clarity... as well as any other cards in the future that intentionally break the rules. I must admit, I was a bit confused by this as well. (not a huge deal though)

"This card keeps any stat changes prior to leaving play as a direct result of this ability" or something.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:05:39 AM by Kilroy512 »
Quote from: WWKnight
You are probably going to end up quoting me in your sig.  Everyone else already has.

Offline Zinqf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 01:53:45 AM »
Out of curiosity, when a card returns to play. Is it suppose to be reset back to its base value. Just a rule check.
Cause otherwise Pilgrimage Monk should be reworded.
A card that leaves play becomes a completely new card. When the card returns to play, it is a completely new card. The only exception is when the text on a card changes or alters the rule. In the case of Pilgrimage Monk, the character returns into play with +2/+2 (+4/+4 after the doubling patch) increase and drawing two cards when it comes into play. This is a trigger when the card comes into play. There's actually no need to change the card text.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:15:13 AM by Zinqf »
Fact - 42.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Offline Zinqf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 01:58:47 AM »
If the cards that keep stats when they leave play were worded like overloaded soldier (i.e. permanently) then that could be used to show what cards re-set and what don't.
Interesting. Now I feel like using the Controlled Temporal Anomaly on it to see if "permanent" is there to distinquish that its not "till the end of turn".
Fact - 42.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.