Author Topic: Infinity combo's?  (Read 3179 times)

Offline Synnym

• View Profile
Infinity combo's?
« on: November 24, 2012, 08:55:56 PM »
There probably wont be any infinitive loop combo's in the start, but we never know when a player find *that* combination, i like magic's standpoint on it, that you immidiatly loose the game.
Whats Lightmares standpoint on those?

WWKnight

Re: Infinity combo's?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 10:38:14 PM »
Well an infinite loop in an automated setting would be bad.  Im sure there will be no combos like that, simply because the coders would find them while developing the cards.  If they do, they would jsut code it so that the person who has the lock would be declared the winner.

Offline atthis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 11:16:09 PM »
Wouldn't it be better to code it so it wasn't possible to start an infinite chain?

Like in yu-gi-oh it isn't allowed to start a chain which will go on for eternity.

Offline Koey

• The one trapped in the Hamster ball.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 02:39:11 AM »
Loops would exist but probably unintended.

Think the perfect example the found was 2 Matyr Golems made an infinite loop. Now only the second golem takes damage.

Offline Snarley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 03:15:36 PM »
There is a difference between a voluntarily entered loop and an accidental one. Magic has lots of both, I'm hoping this game has lots of one and none of the other. From a coding perspective loops are to be avoided like the plague in things like this. You can and will crash the server... I've seen it happen.

PS. In Magic if you enter an involuntary loop the game is a draw. For all other loops it's entirely about whether the player concedes or not. The Splinter Twin combo is known as the combo everyone knows but no one ever sees. The opponent always scoops if they can't stop the combo happening.
Self confessed rules lawyer. For every game. How do I rules lawyer a computer though?

Offline atthis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 07:23:57 PM »
As a game developer I believe you should strive after not making any unending loops. But since it's hard to foresee all possible combos (especially when many cards are added later on), you should have a plan B if there would occur an infinite loop. My suggestion is that the player with the infinite loop loses, which makes it less likely that anyone would like to wanna make such a loop in a match.

Offline Koey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 09:13:34 PM »
There is a difference between a voluntarily entered loop and an accidental one. Magic has lots of both, I'm hoping this game has lots of one and none of the other. From a coding perspective loops are to be avoided like the plague in things like this. You can and will crash the server... I've seen it happen.

PS. In Magic if you enter an involuntary loop the game is a draw. For all other loops it's entirely about whether the player concedes or not. The Splinter Twin combo is known as the combo everyone knows but no one ever sees. The opponent always scoops if they can't stop the combo happening.
I mean the case I was saying is they are unlikely to have infinite loops created. If they do they will probably have to fix it.

I would say entering an infinite loop should just draw the game, and then developers should fix it.

There is one thing as a combo, but infinite loops shouldn't happen as cards will be exhausted after their ability is play to prevent a loop from occurring.

Offline Threevenge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 09:30:30 PM »
Infinite loops are just bad game design, if any sneak by they should be corrected quickly. I highly doubt there will be any cases of this in Infinity Wars, so I'm not worried.

WWKnight

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 10:27:50 PM »
Infinite loops are awesome!  Whats the point of a combo if you arent going to do inifnity + 1 damage?

Offline shawnreed343

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 08:15:38 PM »

Man, I feel anal, but in Magic, a voluntary infinite loop is actually chosen by the player creating the loop as a number of their choice. A million, a billion, however many times they want, for the loop to happen. If the loop is involuntary and there is not a way to stop it from happening, the game is a draw. There are some cases where a card interaction creates an exponential effect that is not actually infinite but can still crash a game- like a kicked Rite of Replication on a Precurser Golem. So if possible, infinite loops should be avoided, as well as large exponential effects.

WWKnight

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 10:50:20 PM »
Nope, in the interest of being anal, Snarley is right.

The play with the loop says a number, but its up to the opponent to concede before you play it out a billion times :P

Offline Koey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 11:37:19 PM »
Out of curiosity, how is it possible to create an infinite loop with the current cards.
I think the fact you have to exhaust a card to play ability, prevents voluntary loops as you cannot play the same ability again.

Offline Synnym

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 09:39:15 AM »
Out of curiosity, how is it possible to create an infinite loop with the current cards.
I think the fact you have to exhaust a card to play ability, prevents voluntary loops as you cannot play the same ability again.
Read the damn topic starter :P

Offline Kira

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 04:56:41 AM »
Loops are terrible, and with the way this game is played I don't see how it would work exept with 1 person instantly winning the game. I never had fun playing with infinite loops in yugioh or MTG, I am sure many others agree with me.

As a side note.
Scooby stop trolling Kira in the forums.  If you have a problem with how he converses with other people take it up with him in a PM.