Author Topic: Tournaments and game length  (Read 3669 times)

Offline Snarley

• View Profile
Tournaments and game length
« on: November 23, 2012, 01:42:42 PM »
I'd like to know how the length of a game will work in a tournament. Obviously a tournament can't have games going for several days. What is a likely time limit? Will I be able to apply that time limit to my casual games if I don't want to be waiting hours for my opponent to lock in their moves? Also how often are tournaments likely to be? Will I be able to play in a tournament every day of the week? Even multiple times a day?

Also how long do we have to wait for drafting to be implemented?
Self confessed rules lawyer. For every game. How do I rules lawyer a computer though?

WWKnight

Re: Tournaments and game length
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 01:45:33 PM »
Drafting (or at least sealed) seems to be in the alpha.  Elphie mentioned it offhandly in a comment hte other day.

I do believe they are working on rooms for fast play, and tournaments, I would imagine, would be held in fast play.

Offline Snarley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
Fantastic :) Draft is where I plan to spend my time in this game.
Self confessed rules lawyer. For every game. How do I rules lawyer a computer though?

Offline Koey

• The one trapped in the Hamster ball.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »
I do believe they are working on rooms for fast play, and tournaments, I would imagine, would be held in fast play.

My opinion would be that in addition to fast play tournaments they also need to have tournaments that take a bit longer to take advantage of the mobile and asynchronous  game play.
Like if the tourney style is round robin you can have people start 3 games at once. Or in a match you start 3 games going at once with the same player. And they must finish their match by the end of the day.

Offline Error 404 Player not found

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 06:15:05 PM »
Just a idea that came into my head when I was reading this:

If you want to take part in a tournement you get drwan into a group of  4 Players (just a random number could be any).
Those 4 Player start all a match against each other (so everyone has 3 matches). They get a timelimit to end all this games lets say 2 days.
The  player (or maybe the top 2) with the most wins get to the next round the other 2 drop out. Any match that is not finished is either counted as lose or as draw. Those two who won get in different groups for the next stage and so on.

Offline Voxil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 07:19:53 PM »

If you want to take part in a tournement you get drwan into a group of  4 Players (just a random number could be any).
Those 4 Player start all a match against each other (so everyone has 3 matches). They get a timelimit to end all this games lets say 2 days.
The  player (or maybe the top 2) with the most wins get to the next round the other 2 drop out. Any match that is not finished is either counted as lose or as draw. Those two who won get in different groups for the next stage and so on.

I like this kind of idea.  I hope they do something like this.

Offline Koey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 07:43:38 PM »

Thats what I hope. +1

Only issue is the tournament might last for a few weeks once you hit pass the initial group matches.

Offline atthis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 10:36:40 PM »
Unfortunately with a mode where "you shall be done with the match by the end of the day" there will be ways to abuse it. Like waiting until it's just some seconds left and submit your move making the other player lose on time, I totally see this happen if there will be any competitive play in such a mode or just people who like to troll.

Offline Koey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 11:47:42 PM »
Unfortunately with a mode where "you shall be done with the match by the end of the day" there will be ways to abuse it. Like waiting until it's just some seconds left and submit your move making the other player lose on time, I totally see this happen if there will be any competitive play in such a mode or just people who like to troll.
I mean in those case you would be like chess, each person gets 12 hours. They can take as long as they want within that time run out thenthey only get like 5-10 minutes to make their moves.
Sorry I forgot to communicate that.

Offline atthis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 06:26:02 PM »
I mean in those case you would be like chess, each person gets 12 hours. They can take as long as they want within that time run out thenthey only get like 5-10 minutes to make their moves.
Sorry I forgot to communicate that.

Funny that you mentioned chess since I'm a chess player ;)

Well in rated chess when you play irl here in Sweden we have at least 2 hours each and after 40 moves we get another hour. That works very fine when you face each other irl, but when you play against someone on the other side of the earth then he might've gone to bed/work/school/whatever if you took long time on your move. Then you almost certainly would win on time if this happens when the time left is low for both players.

Therefor would I like to see a system similar to the one on chess.com, there exists "live chess" where both players makes moves very fast, and there also exist "online chess" where you get between 1 day and 2 weeks for each move, which makes it hard for the opponent (or yourself) to use the time as mentioned earlier to win.

Offline pistonsfreak41

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 02:34:25 AM »
In the case of tournaments, I feel like the people should dedicate around 3-4 hours of their day if want to participate.  Tournament is something dedicate time for.  Yes I understand this game is completely online. but waiting for other person to finish their turn can be kinda annoying.  I don't know how many people should be in each tournament because we have no clue how long the usual game lasts when playing at decent speed.  From one advanced video they have posted, game lasted 11 minutes, but they knew and understood how cards were played and the rules and why everything went down.

If games do take say around 20-25 minutes, shouldn't really take that long to do a tournament to do.  The one thing that can help in keeping games from going to long (in terms of 2 people in constant play) is the morale system that is another win condition. 

Offline Koey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 08:23:24 PM »
In the case of tournaments, I feel like the people should dedicate around 3-4 hours of their day if want to participate.  Tournament is something dedicate time for.  Yes I understand this game is completely online. but waiting for other person to finish their turn can be kinda annoying.  I don't know how many people should be in each tournament because we have no clue how long the usual game lasts when playing at decent speed.  From one advanced video they have posted, game lasted 11 minutes, but they knew and understood how cards were played and the rules and why everything went down.

If games do take say around 20-25 minutes, shouldn't really take that long to do a tournament to do.  The one thing that can help in keeping games from going to long (in terms of 2 people in constant play) is the morale system that is another win condition.

Only question is how would you manage the issue of time difference?
Say 2 people are matched up and both have normal working hours of 9-5 and sleeps 8 hours. And there is a 12 hour difference. It would be hard to find a reasonable time frame for both.
This is why having only short timed tournaments for a span of 2-3 days would not be the best course of action.

Offline Error 404 Player not found

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 08:35:20 PM »
if you are doing such a "short-timed"tournament you have to group people with the same timezones. like koey said. otherwise it would be unfair to everyone  or event pointless because half of the matches cant be played

Offline Voxil

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 08:37:22 PM »

Only question is how would you manage the issue of time difference?
Say 2 people are matched up and both have normal working hours of 9-5 and sleeps 8 hours. And there is a 12 hour difference. It would be hard to find a reasonable time frame for both.
This is why having only short timed tournaments for a span of 2-3 days would not be the best course of action.

Which is the point of Asynchronous play.  I send you my play before I go to bed, when I get up I receive your turn.  I get my next turn done during lunch and then perhaps you get it back to me right after I get off of work.  We don't have to be able to play at the same time.  But yes, this is a game that would take a couple of days by itself so you wouldn't be able to run an entire Tournament this way.

Offline pistonsfreak41

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 08:48:09 PM »
Maybe the solution is to have 2 types of tournaments. You can have asynchronous games for those who live far away from each other with huge time differences.  The other tournament you would hold on weekends when people have much more free time and can play the games right then and there.