I am sorry if I am being a bit rude but I feel very confused with this topic in general, you are telling me that people don’t play Infinity Wars (or any virtual CTG) these days to get cards, build a competitive or a “this should not work but I bet it should be fun deck”, or not even play for the sake of winning matches.
Yes. At least that's how I play if I'm busy. "Winning matches" is an incredibly vague goal.
Same for "gain raninking". I know for the limited amount of time I put in and with my current skill, getting to the top won't happen anytime soon. That means aimless grinding in the mean time.
You are telling me RageNet people play because they want a virtual in between metaphoric and visual progress bar to tell they are leveling up and progressing in the game. But we can’t have a literal indicator telling us “you are this level right now” because it feels out of fashion.
Not a progress bar, more like a checklist which gets refreshed everyday and rewards for crossing off items.
If that is the case maybe Infinity Wars could use a different daily quest approach, instead of giving us 1 free card for logging and 1 extra if you play 3 matches, they could use something like you unlock a mini 3 cards booster if you get a couple of “wins of the day” every two days. That way you should feel better about getting cards because you are getting a booster instead of individual random cards.
As long as the win condition varies, I'm fine. For example, recently we have the quest: win in 8 turns or less. This forces me to build a good enough FD deck. I was motivated to try something I havent done before.
We can even generate missions from template:
- That was quick: Win in X turns or less
- Show your power: Deal X damage or more in a single turn
- Overkill: Win with opponent having -X hp or less
- Three stooges: having 3 specific soulbound characters in command and win X matches
- Take you with me: draw X matches
- Poor man's pride: win X matches with a pauper deck
- Massacre: kill X characters or more in a single game
- Stare of death: win X matches with morale
- Airborne terror: summon X fliers in a game
- Show me the money: have X max resouces at one point in a game
Each of these encourages trying out different play styles. Some might not even encourage winning ("take you with me", "show me the money"...) but I'd argue that winning is not the only way to have fun.